Just got a new (well, sort of..) WAGON ! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just got a new (well, sort of..) WAGON !
Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:41 PM
I posted this same thing in another thread, but I wanted to re-introduce myself to this forum, so this is as good a place to begin:

"I just bought a 1985 Cavalier CS Wagon ! It's a one-owner car. (The Original owner died just six moths prior to his turning 100 years old !) The car has only 39K miles, has absolutely NO RUST, and all I have to do is steam clean the engine and put a new valve cover gasket on it. I already had a set of really nice 2000 Z24 rims & tires, so they are going on, I plan on tinting all of the windows except for the front windows & windshield, throwing some Eibach springs & Koni shocks & struts on her & upgrading the sound system. Sounds like a plan, eh? This is the fifth Cavalier that I have owned, but I've never owned one this old ! I may be hitting you guys up for a few suggestions in the future, so thanks in advance !
Attached is a picture of the car with the wheels & tint photo-shopped on.. What do you think ?

And yes, the car is as clean as it looks ! My wife said that the car looks like I got it directly from a time capsule.

~ Mike ~

Re: Just got a new (well, sort of..) WAGON !
Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:44 PM
Da!! that is stupid sweet.If you need parts for your 1st gen by all means put your request in either here on your post OR my post about the pull a part yard.I am the parts guy and here in NC I seem to have pretty good(rabbit foots) luck at finding some hard to find items.Now granted something that straight you should be fine.But keep in mind some things are clearly no longer made like window sweeps out side of glass seals out water,but most wear out items like sensors,shocks etc are available.Show some interior pics and engine pics please that is a tight wagon.

Friday, January 20, 2012 4:21 AM
SWEETNESS!!!!

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:16 PM
Sharp Car! Love the chrome! Got any Pics of the interior?

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:22 PM
um.. why are the tinted windows and wheels photoshopped?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, January 20, 2012 12:38 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:um.. why are the tinted windows and wheels photoshopped?

M E H wrote:I already had a set of really nice 2000 Z24 rims & tires, so they are going on, I plan on tinting all of the windows except for the front windows & windshield

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:57 PM
I'll try to get some pics of the interior this week - it's being stored in my mother in law's garage until springtime. I'm in the process of rounding up parts (stereo system, suspension, tint, etc.) so i'll be ready to rip on her in the spring.
I do have my first question tho.....it appears that Eibach & Suspension Techniques don't list lowering springs for Cavaliers that old or wagons for that matter...aren't all of the springs the same, or do wagons require different springs because of the extra weight in the rear?

~ Mike ~

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:18 PM
Wonderful Wagon!! :-) If you can't do any good with after-market springs, you might be able to cut a stock set to get the height you're looking for. Even tho the mileage is so low, it's prolly sit a good bit with stale gas in her. I'd recommend dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump & filter when you get a chance. It only costs $50 and is worth it , saving you a possible tow bill down the road!! :-)
Since you are replacing a valve cover - I'm guessing you got the 2.0.
Welcome to the 1st Gen crowd - lots of good souls here!! :-)

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:53 PM
Yes the wagons are specific on a heavy duty spring.I know back when I replaced my springs on my coupe they are stout,but wagons have a different part # not sure if they cost more.I know advance auto carried them TRW was the brand I have and they may have switched brands idk.

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:56 PM
Wonderful find. Wagons in decent shape are so rare, much less time capsules like this. Lookin forward to more photos- wecome back!

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:26 PM
No0 interior pictures yet . We got 7 inches of snow here Friday & my mother in law's garage is at the top of a huge hill - My V-6 Accord cant make it up the driveway.. It's supposed to warm up in the next couple of days, so maybe mid-week & some engine & interior pics may show up. Here are some pics I took of the car the day I purchased it:

~ Mike ~

Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:46 PM
I want a first gen wagon

Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:41 PM
WOW - even got some WHITE WALLS on her - wonder when its been the last time she's seen the speed limit !!

Gotta say I've really enjoyed my ole wagon - been 10 years this fall I've had her, carried just about everything in it till I got my '86 Ford Ranger in '05.

Whatever you decide to do with her, just have F U N doin' it!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search