Thoughts,ideas,inputs for modification. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thoughts,ideas,inputs for modification.
Monday, June 18, 2012 7:21 AM
Hey guys, i wanna know n see if possible what and all there is out the for the first gens. Like what mods are fun mods for performance,style, upgraded comfort, handleing etc. Id like to hear ideas that people have done over the years as im getting ready to restore a recently aquired first gen. So if you guys wouldnt mind id love to see pics links etc to try and get a better idea about the first gen world. I saw the one tread on the motor swap to a g6 motor. what others have been done successfully or tried? So please toss me some odea etc cant wait to start on her soon. also om woking with a 85 cavy vert. only info i know atm is in my profile which is basic atm. Hoping shell look good as the other js ive done around me.

Re: Thoughts,ideas,inputs for modification.
Monday, June 18, 2012 8:56 AM
I had an 87, I did a 90 front end swap. Lowering springs, never got to doing the motor swap on it. The front end swap is very easy and allows for front skirts other then the z24, buick skyhawk, olds firenza, sunbird or J2000 fronts. I have an 82 hatchback that I have 2nd gen Z sides on it. Popular motor swaps are the 3.1, 3400, or the 3800/3.8...
Monday, June 18, 2012 9:03 AM
So the 90fronts bolt up? like arent the 90s second gens?

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:56 AM
Well, I think I am the first 3500 swap (from a G6) in a first gen, that I know of. yes, I ran into some wiring problems that were not found in the second gen 3500 swaps. Hopefully, with help, it will be running soon.

I would suggest lowering springs. Will handle better. Also some nice rims and tires. I will be doing someday. Also, I would love to convert it to z-24 trim, as the plain jane Cavy look is... well, boring.

For the trouble, I would suggest only a 3400 swap, its going to be less labor intensive and still give great power. Or just stick with the 2.8/3.1

Monday, June 18, 2012 4:48 PM
yes the second gen front end bolts right on. took me a Saturday afternoon to do it. the only problem i came across was the hood hinge pins. wasn't much of a problem though. can't even remember what it was other then it was a lil problem.

it'll be back if i ever get a chance to do it.
Monday, June 18, 2012 5:24 PM
You can look at my build at v6z24.com

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/cavalier3400z-build-coolant-sensor-problem-t117207.html

I just posted some pictures on here the other day.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=29&i=63087&t=63087

It is a 2nd gen but they share almost all the same parts just cosmetic changes.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, June 18, 2012 6:07 PM
Yes beechwood ur tread was the one i saw sounded sweet so far. yea it has the2.8l right now n seems stroung but this is really the only car i now have where i feel i can get lil crazy with. im told theres lowering springs in the trunk lol. i was amazed the look changed with just newer z wheels.

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:12 PM
As much as id love to stick with the 2.8 im tossed cause was great in its day but now im told its so under powered comepared to the new 4cyl well clearly as they are 20+yrs newer tech lol. still oldie may just be a goodie. awesome pic arron i may look into it.ill def need to check that tread rob.

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Btw does anyone have any pics of the first gens engine bays with out a motor?

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:24 PM
Well I am a stock 1st gen guy.I have a 85 type 10 with the 2.0 four spd manual.I am keeping it stock as possible for historical sake.The only real mod I have is a updated head unit and spkrs.I can link my cars page or you can go to cardomain and look up ronsoldcav.It has all the info and work done to this point.Any more ?s just ask and that's it for now.

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:36 PM
Thanks ron please link it ill look over it. Ive tossed around the idea of staying stock due to it being a vert. at the sme time she needs bodywork so i kinda wanna do some work where you kinda need a second look lol. id kinda gathering infor at this point seeing whats been done what there to do etc.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:33 AM
understand the love there Ron. I have my 82 Cimarron that i'm keeping bone stock. i'd keep the 82 J2000 stock too but it needs a new door, and a replacement engine...
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:58 AM
you can always keep it stock looking and modify underneath...

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:13 AM
Hmm im following u paul. what examples do u have?.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:20 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/647974/1985-chevrolet-cavalier heres my page with ALL the details about my car.And soon to add more on this page as I hope to start doing work on it asap once I make space in my garage from 2 vert doors in solid shape going to john masson that are rust free,straight and boxed and soon to hit a pallet and shipped out thursday thru a LTL company.These are blocking access to my car on one side.YES the whole door in case your wondering.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:14 AM
When I first got mine, I was going to stay complete stock and "correct", but then I figured that when I had my first Hawk in high school, I wanted to customize it then, and never could, so why not do it now.

Back then I wanted to lower it, but now I know that OEM Fiero wheels will go right on and I will have nice sized tires to fill out the wheel wells, I've added a spoiler, and plan on more, including custom paint.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:27 AM
I think the demon in all mods big and small is once you start, there is always something out there new you want to experience. When you reach one level, there is a desire to kick it up a little more. "Variety is the spice of life", they say.
Every mod, though, big and small takes what few J's - especially the first gen's - further and further away form the original package. We all get to a point where we cannot open the door or hood and remember what it was like in the beginning.
Folks like Ron - fill the void with his bone stock examples we all can appreciate when we like to take a moment and see where we all started from!! That helps us to appreciate and remember a lot of the efforts that we have went through.
I think we all can be greatful for that!! Let's not forget how nice it is to see what people drove 60 ,70, 80 years ago by the stock machines still around - cared for by loving owners over the years!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:19 PM
I started small, my computer is a 7749 instead of the 6430 that the car came with. Now OBD 1 so I can use datamaster on it and figure out what is going on. I have 2.0 turbo injectors, windage tray and oil pan setup. 2.5 Cat-back exhaust, custom cold air intake. I am adding an armrest and console with cubbies out of an 85 Cimmaron. My hood and spoiler are off of later model cars. My interior is out of an 86. I added a trunk pop and keyless entry also.

Not huge mods, but they are incremental improvements.

Prolly gonna do saturn brakes and later fiero gt mesh rims at some point. Still torn if those mesh rims would look best on my sunbird or on my 94 Camaro.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:48 PM
Bluedriftcavy(Eco Swapper) wrote:Btw does anyone have any pics of the first gens engine bays with out a motor?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:35 AM
1985 after I took out the 2.8.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:15 PM
Great thanks john n beech. if you guys have any other angles n such please post them thankks again.

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:59 PM
A small block chevy fits nice....Just saying..LOL

87 Cavalier 400.9" SBC 9.286@143 NA.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search