86 Buick Skyhawk Turbo 1.8L, forged internals? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
86 Buick Skyhawk Turbo 1.8L, forged internals?
Monday, July 30, 2012 6:29 AM
Hey guys. I have an engine (MPFI), from an '86 Buick Skyhawk that I'm installing in my '90 'Bird convertible, with 59,000 original miles on it. It suffered a turbo failure, and as with some of those vehicles, was scrapped because of the turbo failure. At any rate, it was a good find. Before I take the head and oil pan off and look for myself, did the 1.8L turbo Brazil engine come with forged internals? This engine has a red block, but the intake manifold is black, not red, indicating it's not a 2.0L. Any experience with this guys?
It looks like the engine itself is fine, it turns freely, so I don't think there are any problems with the head, ie., bent valves, etc.
I'm going to have Dave Orliteb do a port and polish on the head, and port and match the intake and exhaust manifolds.
I'm going to use an intercooler, and I have a T-25 and a T-2, both of them were purchased cheap, under 150 bucks.
Help me out with the internals issue.......
I'm using an intercooler, bypass valve in the vacuum line to map sensor, boost controller, correct ecm.
Anything else........? Shorten and thread the rod on the actuator.......

Re: 86 Buick Skyhawk Turbo 1.8L, forged internals?
Monday, July 30, 2012 7:57 AM
Bottom end forged on the LA5 (1.8 turbo) cars. Not sure about the red block, but the black intake is definately off of a 1.8 car which was correct for your 86. No doubt there were improvements made with the LT3 (2.0 turbo) cars, maybe that is where your block is from.

lmk how much the head work runs you. The head is coming off of mine soon to repair a head gasket coolant leak (hopefully). Hopefully the intercooler works for you. I had one on mine and lost streetability big time. I am going to do the actuator rod shortening when I have the head off.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:29 AM
That helps alot if it's forged...all turbo blocks were painted red, from what I understand.... so with the head, intake and exhaust work, should be a decent ride. I see that I have a T-25, which I bought from a shop in NY for 150 bucks, and A T-2, which I bought from a guy in Ontario from their J-body site for 100 bucks, with flanges, oil supply and coolant supply lines. They must have varied on which Garret turbo they usded on these vehicles depending on year and make, etc.
How did your intercooler make you lose your streetability?
Nice ride, by the way:-)
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:47 AM
I am on my second block and no red ;(. Maybe Tony (2literturbo) can pipe in if that indicates a 2.0 bottom end... I have heard of 2 liter bottoms with 1.8 tops before. The way I understand it, the T25 came on the 2.0 (LT3) cars and the T2 came on the 1.8 (LA5) cars. T25 was water and oil cooled, T2 was oil only, but many were retrofitted through dealer warranty work. The T25 is clocked differently on the manifold and drives the use of the red induction tube. It is not a straight swap between black tubes and red tubes.

lmk if you ever decide to sell that T2 with the extra plumbing. I am still running on my rebuilt T2 with oil cooling only. What I found when I added the intercooler was the car took a crazy amount of time to build boost. Once it was up it was ok, but by that time the stop light grand prix was over and everyone went home.

Thanks for the compliments on the car. She is coming apart this fall for gasket and possible head work. Will get more of the engine parts refinished and coated. I have had her since 1990 so we go back a ways.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:28 PM
My 85 had a black block and aluminim color intake. I got to know it well changing the oil pressure sensor that screwed into the bottom of the block.
'86s were unchanged.

Mine was plumbed with water cooling following a turbo replaclement at the dealership.

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:13 AM
Wow, Paul!! I didn't know you had your Pontiac for 22 years!! Now that's commitment :-)

....and to think.....I thought I was making a splash by keeping my old wagon for 10 years LoL

I thinks the splash was the feeling from a bucket of cold water on me head - brrrrrrrrrrrrr

]

Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:12 AM
Hmmm... maybe just the Buicks had the red block, indicating forged internals, I know I read about somewhere. I could use those red turbo tubes for the 1.8L tho.... if you guys know anyone who has a set laying around. If your going to get some head-work done talk to
David Ortlieb
(bullet0597)
Last Update: Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Dave's anice guy, he sold me all of his used 'Bird stuff for $125bucks... injectors, engine harness, map sensor, boost controller, and some other items he had lying around.
I'll be shipping him my head, intake and exhaust manifolds to get them ported and matched; so hopelly I'll be able to get close to the max hp capablities of the SOHC head.
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:53 PM
I've never seen a red block on a 1.8 or 2.0 I thought they were all black (or grime if that's a color ). I don't know much about 1.8's so I'd listen to Paul or the Motorman for info regarding them. The crank on a 2.0 turbo is not forged from my findings though some folks have argued the point. Pistons yes, rods yes, crank no. I want to say a T-2 flows less than a T-25 so if that's correct I wouldn't be in a huge rush to use one. It's been a long time since I've done any checking into them though so check for yourself. Paul pretty much nailed everything else in his posts. My sister bought my car new in 87 so I got you there Paul

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:06 PM
By the way I goofed on the rods. They aren't forged as I recalled them being they're cast. My bad, Sunbird Nation

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:30 PM
Found this on the Phoenix Craigslist ( in case someone is interested )

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3129489132.html

Doug in Az

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search