Rust rehab on my Z - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rust rehab on my Z
Saturday, November 03, 2012 12:38 PM
My car has been down from early April until late July from a serious rust issue on the rear suspension. The right rear shock mount rusted free in the wheel well so I had to park it until I had time to fix it. I took off an entire week from work in June to get the ball rolling on my car. I took it down to my parents' house where I have an '89 Z24 parts car that had good metal still. I gutted the interior and found more rust under the drivers seat and the rear x bracing for the back seat was broken. After a month of cutting and welding I am happy to say that my Z is back on the road with new interior and a solid chassis.

Re: Rust rehab on my Z
Saturday, November 03, 2012 4:11 PM
Looks like a job well done. I'm sure the Cav will be much quieter now. Did you get a new carpet while you had it pulled apart. I just replaced mine this summer when I painted the floors.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 7:34 PM
I used the carpet from my 89. It had some really nice black interior. I'm converting from blue to black. My aunt is going to reupolster my seats.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 7:41 PM
I had no idea when reading your rust was umm so bad.I see you have done alot to counter the issue.Looks solid now and I guess some more prep to protect it like undercoat the bottom etc.Nice and wish I could do some work,but had a virus the last 4 days and down.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:07 PM
Nice Work!

Monday, November 05, 2012 4:56 AM
Thank you. The welder gave me a nice tan for the rest of the summer. I did not undercoat anything on the new parts. Undercoating is the main reason why I had such horrible cancer. My parts car was not undercoated and all of its sheetmetal looked new still. I kept catching my car on fire with that stuff also.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:28 PM
Dang. That's some bad stuff. I recently stripped a '86 Z due to some pretty bad rust. Glad you're able to save yours, Josh. I've always liked that car.

Paul
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:50 PM
Thanks Paul. It was definitely a project. I got a nice tan from 8 hours of straight welding.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search