My 86 cavalier cl 2.0l soon to be a sleeper. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 86 cavalier cl 2.0l soon to be a sleeper.
Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:41 PM
No cat, 2' 1/2 exhaust with a magnaflow glass pack,
Three degrees retarded timing to help back pressure.
No bumper supports, super light, looks stock.
remote start with blue tooth radio.
here in NYC everyone ask what is it? there's no emblems.
Other stuff im doing to it ill ad later. Im keeping the 2.0 for a bet. swapping engines my whole life. but this is a fun challenge

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any tips are more then welcome. show me what you got, pics. don't mind sharing my trend, thanks for looking.

Re: My 86 cavalier cl 2.0l soon to be a sleeper.
Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:55 PM
OK, since I am on a stupid streak....what does the toggle switch and the deal next to it do?

LOL on the 'no emblems- 'what is that? comment.

One bright Saturday on a busy NJ local state highway, at a light, there were two guys in their '20s, directly behind me, in a riced out Civic. They were being all cool and all 'dat, hip hop music blaring out the windows. It was a cool dry day and the gas tank was only 1/2 full- perfect emblemless Z24 launch conditions.

On the green it was blast off time, and I saw the guys in the rear view mirror w/ craning necks and eyeballs bugging, and I swear I could lip read them both saying "WHAT IS THAT MAN!?!"

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:01 PM
That;s just what my intention are, beating civics lol. My uncle had a 89 Z24 stick, Ive been looking for one for ever.
In Queens all you see racing are Maximas. My bet is to beat my god fathers 2012 5.0, good part is he cant shift,

That switch is for when I run hot, some time it don't start so I jump the starter.. I fixed the starter but leaving it for Nos. I know Nos is a corny way to say it but I cant spell it out right now but that might not happen any time soon., looks cool for now, maybe add another fan to cool things off. might just go with a junkyard turbo.. I cant seem to find parts for this motor, I only had it for a few weeks.
Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:13 PM
Good looking car!
And welcome to the first gen forum. As far as the 2.0 goes there isn't too much for mods except for the obvious. I know at least one or two guys have done custom turbos onto the 2nd gen Chevy 2.2. But what would be sweet and has has been done many times is the 3400 swap with the 5spd mated to it.
Most of the info here is pretty much mild stock mods. Over on the Z24 site there is quite a bit of information on extreme mods.
I get that more and more every year I take the Cav out. "Thats a Cavalier?" Yes it is and it was one of the best selling cars in 1984, believe it or not.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:32 PM
Ok my old story from several years ago.I left my house went one mile up my road sitting at the lite waiting for it to change.Nice clear day warm and not paying alot of attention to the civic or acura integra sitting at the light adjacent to the intersection that had to stop when I got the green.I literally stomped on it hard,rolling thru 1st and 2nd and not playing pedal hard.As soon as the lite changed those idiots were doing all they could to catch me.It took them one mile to catch me I was rolling quick.I backed off it at the next light once they finally got close and the lite was red and slowed down and then green and drove like a mild manner guy.I just lmao and they really I guess thought they could catch up,and I let them down by driving normal.Just have to love the 4spd with torque like no other car I have driven 4cyldr wise.People under estimate these cars even if a so called econo box 1st gen.Tbi is def strong and do find at least my car will flat out haul --- if I step into it.Just had to share

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:25 PM
This car has attracted more law enforcement attention than anything else I have ever driven. I have been driving this car since I was 16 I am now 28. I have racked up a total of 19 tickets so far. 15 came from driving this beast. It may be a one tire fire but it will lay rubber through 2nd gear.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:38 PM
Carl Himmel wrote:No cat, 2' 1/2 exhaust with a magnaflow glass pack,
Three degrees retarded timing to help back pressure.
No bumper supports, super light, looks stock.
remote start with blue tooth radio.
here in NYC everyone ask what is it? there's no emblems.
Other stuff im doing to it ill ad later. Im keeping the 2.0 for a bet. swapping engines my whole life. but this is a fun challenge

Any tips are more then welcome. show me what you got, pics. don't mind sharing my trend, thanks for looking.

I don't know if I would ever remove my bumper supports. I think that is asking for trouble. Not only is it illegal in almost every state, you are risking other peoples lives as well as your own. If you get into an accident, you just lost all your reinforcement and the car will crumble bad.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, December 21, 2012 5:10 AM
You put nitrous in that 2.0L and you'll blow it. Now if you really want more power out of that 2.0L you can do a turbo Slowolej Turbo Cavy info There's also this one here but it was recently sold.

I agree with Rob about the bumper supports, you're not really saving much weight removing them. You want to save weight get some fiberglass parts such as hood, trunk etc..., remove the seats, stereo etc...

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys,
Love hearing the stories as well. makes me smile.

you guys got nerves about the bumpers, glade I saved them.

Im the second owner of the car 64xxxx miles, have a mazda shop looking in on the motor, a older man at the shop says its just like the mid 80s mazda -toyota pick up truck motors, so to be safe Im looking in on a cam roller rockers for now then pray the turbo wont blow up the block.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search