Remote Starter - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Remote Starter
Friday, December 13, 2013 10:21 AM
I would love to install a remote starter with keyless entry on the Hawk, but I don't want to buy garbage.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I found one at Autozone, it was made by Bulldog (rs1200). It's hard to deal with the reviews on different websites about this product since so many people obviously didn't know what they were doing, and many didn't realize the extras they would have to buy because they own something newer than 1996.

So I want to hear it from people who know their stuff and what it will be like to install on an older car like the Hawk. I do have an auto trans, power locks and a remote trunk release.

Finally, if I try and hook up the keyless entry, would I have to remove the door panels because that's where the power locks are, or is that done some other way? I just want to know if I should bother putting on my window cranks before installing the starter because I can never get those cranks off without breaking them.

Re: Remote Starter
Friday, December 13, 2013 10:54 AM
I had all that in my 86 Cavalier, but I had removed them. worked great for years but so many problems. I'm going to removing the hardware in my doors. all set up for the car. PM me bro. take them!

I also have the remote start box it self, but no wire harness too. and the 2 key pads. Happy holidays if you want?
Friday, December 13, 2013 12:34 PM
Just curious - always wondered what does one do with this installed in the new vehicles and the battery goes dead in the car? How can one get to anything? It's bad enough if the tiny battery dies in the FOB - got to make for a very bad day if the car battery dies!

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:58 PM
The one I have you can still use the key in the door if it dies.
Monday, December 16, 2013 7:56 AM
Orlen--

My experience with newer cars that would have these systems is the battery doesn't give you a warning when it's going to die, it just flat out won't start the car.

I know our nice older cars give us a hint with sluggish starts before the battery won't fire up the beast no more, but that just doesn't seem to happen on the newer vehicles.

The saving grace of that annoying habit is the lights and accessories still work, so there would be enough power to unlock/lock the doors without your key.

Carl--what were the problems? What brand did you have?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search