Country Bumpkin Upholstery - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Country Bumpkin Upholstery
Saturday, March 22, 2014 6:52 PM
Well, my wonderful Cimarron Seats are eventually going to need some fixing up and I already know Leather is an expensive commodity. Even if I have to settle for "Pleather" (which is just a thicker grade of Vinyl) I doubt I'll be able to get a good color match.
I also am wanting to get an armrest recovered in Blue that is currently Maroon.

So I bring you Country Bumpkin Upholstery - one of those dangerous-crazy brainchilds I am known to cook up from time to time.

Upon finding a '93 Caddy at the Pick and Save which just happened to be the same blue interior the last visit - it began to kinda stick in my head that Leather in Blue was a thing of the past and is going to get ever harder to find. Then I got the idea of buying up these seats, tearing them down and Un-stiching the material for use at an Upholstery Shop.

So this weekend off we went. Picked up this Caddy seat full of SUMPTUOUS Leather for just 33 Bucks. Power Seat base and all....the color is a direct match to the Cimarron seats too boot! I'm hoping I can save the power motors for spares in case I should need to repair a base some time.

I have started the process of Un-stiching the panels and while time consuming - it is working.

If you are in need of some seat work - here is one of those crazy ideas you can try yourself too.

Here is the tear in my seat - which is slowly growing with time....

The Donor *

Lots of Blue

The Prize!

Lots of wonderful Caddy Leather!! MMmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Re: Country Bumpkin Upholstery
Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:27 PM
Long day work wise.I guess if you can make that cover idea work go for it.I know you will pop up pics as things go along..R

Sunday, March 23, 2014 6:27 AM
Looks like the leather is spot on in a color match . Ideas like that are what keeps the old J cars going. Plus speaking from experience my Cimarron seats were much more comfortable than Chevy seats.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:06 PM
Well I wasn't expecting to make this post so soon. My Sweetie asked if she could be of any help, and before I knew what had happened we were finished! Sure does help - to have a helper!!

Once you get a good tug and start exposing the stitches things come apart really fast. I got a great deal of patch panels out of this one seat, and recommend this to everyone!

Looks like I experimented on the tablecloth before tackling the leather ? Actually the Cats have been busy...LoL

Working together!

...and the piece come free!

Yep, that is REAL Leather!

Here is the yield. The piece near the center is pleated and cannot be cut down any further.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search