Found two first gens on Craigslist - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Found two first gens on Craigslist
Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:21 AM

Re: Found two first gens on Craigslist
Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:14 PM
Nice - low priced - rust free and 1st Gens too!!

You just can't beat the price of that Convertible!! Swap in a 2.8 and a bit o' bodywork and someone could have a a very nice rare Cavalier 1st gen Convertible!!

Where are all the Hatchbacks coming from??? These are better than barn finds man!! Kevin Schlum grabbed up the last one , maybe someone will do the same for this one too! Could that be a hint of a rear window louver that I spy??? Now that does bring back some memories.....Wow! Louvers were the coolest of the cool back in the day.......not many people had them. The ones that were oversized to clear the rear window wipers were quite cheesy though. I don't think I've seen any White on Tan before - strikes me as kinda rare combination.

It is a good thing I'm not loaded with loot. I'd be the Jay Leno of J-Bodies

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:44 AM
My first Jbody was a 1982 J2000 it was white with a tan interior, I think you are right I've not seen a lot with that color combonation. The dash was more of a chocolate, the seats were tan with brown "checkers". I believe they were PMD seats, but can't be sure. I would love to have that hatchback, I've been looking for one on and off for the last 8 years to no avail. I just don't think the wife would sign off on my flying to orlando to drive it back to Indiana.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:41 PM
The 1st listing is gone.But the hatch is still available.Idk I like the hatch but 1200 even while decent a touch high imo.I think IF I were to consider it I would have to see the car and hook up my actron scanner I use for sunny and check the specs.I would also go over the car front to rear high and low before making a real offer.Aside from the cosmetics it may be a 1k offer or less just bc there is no real demand and a low option car and me being a jbody fanatic.Just as thought I think even my car is probably only worth 1200 as it sits even with all my work.Now if I had my mechanical work done,and new carpet (I am holding out on right now) for the original wear feature and fresh paint tops maybe 1500.00.I am not being modest just the reality of yr,model,features and misc.Now sunny is priceless to me just bc of the stories behind the car!!!!!! Plus my wrenching on it for the last 16yrs.Price is all in the demand,unique model and a buyers interest to pay the asking cost.Orlen if I had that jbody shop I dream of you my friend would be short a lot of cars ha ha.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:07 AM
I think if that interior is really solid (which I doubt, I bet those seats are shot under the covers), $1200 for that one is fine, unless the mileage is super sky high (that point isn't mentioned in the ad).

I think if you can find a j with turbo and really nice interior/exterior, $2000 is the top price and of course at that price the mileage would have to be in the low 100K or less. Maybe $1500 for a rare type model like a Z24 or T-type in that type of condition.

But the days of the $500 car are long past, and anything jbody or otherwise that starts and runs is going to go for no less than $1000...there's a butt for every seat.
Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:16 AM
Wayne, You are 100% correct. The $500 dollar car days are a thing of the past. I believe the "cash for clunkers" program killed off the last of the great crop of cheap cars. Sadly, I saw nicer vehicles than what I was driving "junked". I also think the rising scrap prices over the last few years have had a negative impact on cheap cars. Scrap yards will pay $300-$400 for your car running or not. To a lot of people that is enough money to not have the hassle of selling the car.
Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:16 PM
A quick browse of my local Craigslist pulled up cars at , and well over 200k on the ODO going for $1500 to $2000. Of course the asking and the selling are 2 different things, but in this day and age any 1st Gen with an engine and transaxle in it can have a price tag of $1k nowadays. One that starts and drives enters in at $1500, and I've seen a lot of cars without an engine or transmission going for $700.
A recent phenomenon starting to pop up is if some vehicle is listed under $1000 people instantly assume the seller is hiding a serious problem and buyers stop right there.

I'm not saying if one is persistant and patient and keeps cash in their pocket getting a great deal isn't possible!

The 2nd Gen I recently picked up cost me $1500 and I had a very hard time finding it. It isn't perfect, and the milage is unknown - but it does run perfect and is very reliable, so I feel it was money well spent.

My Boss at work speaks from time to time of "The New Normal"

I think we are seeing "The New Normal" in the Auto Market these days.

Here is an example of one of the $800 cars: The top has been cut open by a thief, the windshield is busted. Of course the seller claims the engine and transmission are good. Care to take it for a test drive???

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:49 PM
Orlen my thoughts on that 800 pic immediately says to me wayyyy to high.Car sitting on the ground no wheels oh my the rust and damage that may have been done or in the process.To me that is a 200 buck special even if it cough was running and worked.Prices are all over with the array of condition and I agree scrap pricing does hurt those selling a working ride that is actually decent imo.Btw I did not win the power ball last nite so I will continue working as normal like the rest of group.Heck it was only 40 million but,I do not think I would have a problem with that even after taxes and live just like I do now.Simple

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:09 AM
You're not kidding about that Orlen. Used car prices are nuts these days. When we sold our 1989 Olds Cutlass Supreme in 2006 the best offer we got was $1200 and it only had 120,000 miles on it with the only issue with it was the rear suspension bushings needing soaked every few months. Happened to pass by one the other day that was maybe a year or two newer than ours was and the owner wanted $2,500 firm and it had over 200,000 miles and rust 'speed' holes . The Concorde my brother in law bought 2yrs ago is cost him $10,000 although in my opinion he paid $5,000 too much but ones comparable to his locally were going for about the same price he paid. Obama seems to be screw up, destroys the used car market by destroying perfectly good cars, @!#$ up health insurance for everyone etc... but that's a topic for another section lol.

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:05 PM
Same here in the northeast. Really no cheap cars out there. $1,200 car is what we would drive in High School for a few months and $400 cars are driving to the junk yard for scrap. Drive-able cars start at $2,000 and up (been looking for my 16 year old daughters). I've also been looking all over New England for cheap 1st gens parts cars for 4 straight years and have only found 3 under $400. Still looking to strike gold and find a 2.0 5 speed! That I would pay more for, especially if it was a Cavalier.

Like this.... at the Lambrecht Auction.

Friday, March 28, 2014 7:56 PM
I'm sure Cash for Clunkers has played its part in the drama, but if it was simply removing a lot of V-8 haulers and 4x4's off the roads I expect to see them replaced with a lot off other vehicles now. As the newer vehicles replaced to older ones we should be seeing a lot more younger lower milage vehicles hitting the used car lots displacing the old worn out ultra high milage vehicles - sending them to the scrappers.

This isn't happening.

My theory is - what we are seeing is a thinning out of the middle class. Less new cars being bought to start with. A lot more people are driving used cars because they simply cannot afford a new one. This is pushing everyone down a notch in the food chain - so to speak. Down on the bottom end there are a heck of a lot of drivers trying to get that last bit of service out of a war weary worn out Cars and Trucks. Supply and Demand. Since there are less and less used vehicles available - the prices just go up.

Adding to the mix are the scrap happy Vultures that ride around looking for anything metal to get a dollar off of. We have one of them at my job. Forget even asking for a part off of anything he finds. He burns me up. Has bragged several times he "had" Cavalier a few weeks ago - had a nice this , that , ot the other thing on it - then quickly starts bragging how much he got for the thing at the scrappers that day. Him and his Son take all the money and throw into a "Tractor Pull" Project Truck. Tens of thousands of dollars they have tossed into that thing. They couldn't care less about folks like ourselves.

I got a little off subject , sorry. This mess is hurting every kind of car buff out there - from Corvettes to Chevettes. I doubt things will get better, in fact historically there is usually one or more smaller Recessions after a big one - I'm guessing one should be along any time.

Friday, March 28, 2014 8:25 PM
Here is a news article rergarding fewer people able to buy a new car.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101522551

Friday, March 28, 2014 9:35 PM
Now this subject I can attest is my area.With out writing a novel both of my nephews cars a 98 accord and 02 civic.Both older but solid and while the 98 was free my gah with literally 4000.00 dropped into before he even got it to make it right by my standards is loco.This car has been good minus the wear items.The civic bought from a used stealership(yep) I know they bought this at auction and listed at book.No way we could really low ball the price but even this car required 2100.00 of work to make it right again to my standards.I will say the civic had only 120k so imo well worth it.In short to buy a car used minus any real updates or work you have to go with a car under say the 4-5 yr old mark IF the mileage is not all jacked up.Next to keep the price say under 5k you have to resort to a almost ten year old car or later seriously.I do find the cash for a-- program just destroyed the used car market driving up prices on even cars that are ten years old(REALLY!!!!!!!!!!) I see accords like a 2000 model asking almost 5-6 grand are they stupid or what.A 14yr old car are freaking serious.In short I have said to my wife and mother in law in order to buy a used car less than ten yrs old problem free,work free and ready to go your going to pay at least 8-10 grand with out trying.Did I bore you guys yet as I have just got started and want this to be well shorter.I can agree and relate to what has already been said.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 7:25 AM
Not all is Gloom and Doom from all the changes we have experienced. Some positive outcomes to all "New Normal" for me has been:

1. My vehicles are keepers nowadays rather than disposable lighters like they used to be. I now look back at how I used to get a car simply because I was "tired" of the one I had - and think of how foolish I was. The work I put into them is something I can appreciate for years and years!

2. Everyday I count my lucky stars and am so very Grateful for the vehicles and parts I've been able to acquire! I really enjoy these so much more than the disposables I use to have. I consider myself one Lucky Son of a Gun!! I really get a kick out driving what I have. Even a simple trip to the local WalMart is Special!!

3. Sometimes the chase is half the fun. The parts I do manage to find and get is ....well, quite a rush!! :-)

4. Lastly by Golly I am learning to do a lot of things I never would have had to learn - doing things the old way. Lots of new experiences!!

.....and we have J-Body.org!!

Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:36 PM
The older people get, the more they think prices of everything have gotten out of hand. It's always about remembering that 5 cent loaf of bread and wondering why not while the average salary kept going up, and the rest of the world moved on.

Think of it this way:

In 1990, I bought the original Hawk as a six year old car with 50,000 miles on it for $3200. This is about 45% of the original cost for a car that would be expected to last another 50,000 miles, or another four years.

Last year, I bought a 2005 Mazda 3 with 80,000 miles on it for $10,000. This is about 50% of the cost for an eight year old car. Yes, that's 12.5% higher end cost with 30,000 more miles on it; but it should last 140% longer than what was expected of my beloved Hawk. The Mazda also is more fuel efficient, has more safety features (4 wheel disc brakes, driver & passenger airbags, side curtain airbags, etc.) and about twice as much power.

When you can get about $300-$500 for a non-running car at a scrapyard, why wouldn't you expect at least $1000 for a running one in any type of condition?
Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:45 PM
Good Stuff there Wayne!! Wonderful insight !! I have been thinking about your post all day!!!

I hadn't considered the cost of the new vehicles nowadays. There is a lot of depreciation that has to take place. I have heard that you need nearly $10 for a down payment if you want a reasonable thick payment book. Gotta mention "Gap" insurance. If it all aint throught the roof, it sure is up in the rafters! Of course - the cost of a new car is gonna be a pull on the value of the used ones as well.

I am wondering 2 things here :

1. Is the trade in values also increasing as well with this inflation at the dealerships ? What are they willing to give you for a car you can get $400 in scrap ?

2. Is the Insurance Companies paying out more money for these written off worthless old cars when thay are totaled in an accident? You sure aren't going to get anywhere with a check for $600 as they haul off your totaled 1st Gen.

Everything goes up in the store along with the price of that loaf of bread.

I'm not sure all the new technology in these cars is a plus or a minus. There is so , so much in them nowadays that can break and leave you stranded. It seems almost that the automobile is less dependable than ever. If it dies on you all you can do is call a tow truck. What can you do with a pair of pliers, a screw driver and a roll of duct tape nowadays? I know a woman at work that had her Chevy Aveo in the shop for a week over a bad ground wire - the computer was down from that wire so no one could read the codes on a computer and no one knew what to do with it! A tiny dead battery in your key or remote can cause for a really bad day now. Not that this is bad enough stuff but now all this technology can also kill you - GM is in a pickle now over ignition switches. Last I read they are temporarily suspending sales of the Cruize. To the new car owner their best asset is that new car warranty - a tow and loaner is just a call away I guess.

Doesn't seem like the paychecks kept up with the inflation this time, and as Ron noted - there are a lot of money pits sitting out there with big price tags on them waiting for the customer to sign on the dotted line.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:09 AM
Short status of my own.Back in 2011 I def needed a new ride for a daily.My trusted 87 mazda being 24yrs old was not really suitable for daily use and plus the idiot factor of the dopes on the road could end it's being around.I chose to go brand new as I totally deserved a new car after well 24 years.So updated I did and kept the civic for 2.6 yrs and found I should have went back with a truck as I am use to that and more space to haul.In short I traded my almost half paid for civic and got 13,500 for it (orig tag out the door was 21k)So yeah car lost the off the lot depreciation but,the actual value held it's ground.I do not regret buying the Tacoma as it fits me better in all respects.Payments are a touch higher but the truck cost more than the civic new.Todays cars do go a lot longer generally with out any major tune ups,and stuff but have there peculiars that can hinder them.A good example is my wifes 04 Honda accord problem free for ten years for the most part.Only updates are brakes front and rear,one oxgen sensor,and only on her 3 set of tires,cooling flush,new hoses,new serpentine belt,1 battery and cabin air fllter and trans fluid flush really a drain.Her car is almost at a 100k and planned work is new plugs,coil packs,struts,alignment and fuel injector flush to speak of coming soon.So rough cost to update a good ten years of solid service about 800.00 but over the time she owned this is nothing.Granted I have checked the tire psi every wk rotated the tires every 5k and got the full potential out of each set of tires on her car.Original set lasted 53,000 set second set about 41k(more performance grade tire) and new set as of November in progress.Bottom line is IF you take care of the car and do the required maintenance minus any issues todays cars can last over 200k with out any major issues unless you bought a cheapo throw away minus design flaws.Tired and getting ready to call it a day.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:21 AM
It takes a while of looking to find a good running car for cheap. I bought a rubbing and driving 1989 s10 blazer with no rust and 4x4 for 600$. And there have been several times where my cousin has bought running and driving cars for below scrap value. It could be that we live in the Midwest and cars are cheaper but I'm not sure.
Attachments
image.jpg (1466k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search