Ron - Taking your advice!! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ron - Taking your advice!!
Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:04 AM
Isn't nice when someone listens ?? Hahaa

Took awhile but I'm working around to getting those car covers you recommend, Ron.

1st one has been a cheeeeepy, just good for keepin' the dust off in the garage and bird poop off outside. Better than nothing. 2nd one I just got off Ebay from autoarmour-auctions (Great Folks to Deal With too). $55 for top of the line 7 layer. I can now park the Sunbird - I had labored so hard painting last year - outside while I get some other work done on the other rides.

Very pleased, Ron! Bring on the birds and rain clouds now! I have peace of mind

I guess one cannot say they haven't truley gotten serious till they broke bad and get a really good car cover for their J. I am now officially a J-car nut!! Hahaa

Re: Ron - Taking your advice!!
Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:16 PM
Nice,,,,,
Nothing beats a good high quality cover for outside storage.

Saturday, June 14, 2014 10:25 PM
Indeed there buddy.The waterproof covers on ebay are really a small investment to protect the bigger one.Back in the early 2000's target used to carry a 40.00 waterproof right off the shelf.I would always hold till like late fall and they would drop the ball and want to move them for 10-15 off and those covers worked really good.Sunny has been thru say at least 3-4 covers outside until I had the garage added and while sunny stays covered even indoors since I lay stuff on her when doodling in the shop.Right now the mazda stays covered with the waterproofer deal and a much heavier material but with all the snow,rain this past winter it stayed 100% dry and surely avoiding the elements working on the paint and seals etc.A cheap cost and no leaves and trash stuck all over the car on storms is priceless.Cool

Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:47 PM
Well I picked up a 2nd premium car cover - this time for the wagon. I was kinda vervous about this one since I had my doubts that a car cover that was made to fit all 1st gen bodystyles would actually fit a wagon . Well, it turns out that it just did fit, but I had to remove the roof rack cross members which is a breeze.

Another problem I had , though, was that nasty busted corner on the bumper cover which would tear that brand new car cover in a hurry! Necessity being the mother of invention - I resorted to good ole fashioned Bondo. Trimmed away what obviously had to be removed , and building up layers , then sanding with a 1/4 sheeter and forming with a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel. After about 5 applications I had something I could live with. After I had finished I actually wondered why I didn't do this many years ago. I've been riding around around like that since 2008.

It is interesting to note that the car cover sold for the 2000 Sunbird was not the same one for the Cavalier.

Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:15 PM
Quick fix never hurts.I am keeping my junk piles in check for any bump covers worth a hoot.Lately everything is like 88 and up.Not to mention no time to go the last two months at that.

Saturday, July 05, 2014 1:44 PM
Nice Fix - a little sanding and that should be good to go. Just don't hit anything

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 8:18 PM
Been awhile so I wanted to give an update....

Learning that the advice I got from 84Conv has been as valuable as Ron's - both work together.

Not quite sure the science going on there - but the combination of a tarp over top of a good car cover is finally the working system. We have had a couple days of hard rain here followed by a pretty , dry day today - time to take the covers off off and inspect. The single cover on the wagon came off and the wagon was soaking wet. Removed both off the Pontiac revealed a dry body with one small damp spot .... negligible. It was priceless to have both cars right together and remove the covers to compare like this.

So in conclusion my experience has taught me you need a tarp on the ground under the car, a good multilayer car cover on the car with a good quality tarp over top of that. Use these and you should be able to keep a car in nice shape a very long time. This should be considered the minimum long term protection for any keeper in one's possession. ASAP after a period of rain I think it is necessary to uncover -let the car air out a little and hang the car cover to dry outside 1st then flip over and turn inside out to dry any wet spots on the inside.

I doubt you will ever see 2 car covers hanging on a clothes line other than this photo.....Hahaa Crazy country J-Body NUT!!!

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 9:11 PM
Yeah I take my cover off my old mazda about every couple of weeks and or roll back at least the front on my days off to let it breathe.It is about time for a new one for the mazda the weather is really beating it up and starting to crack.It is like three years old and is used year round.I hang my up on my clothes line as well for a good day just to vent and let it get any moisture out.Did some yardwork today and kind of tired but not too bad.

Sunday, February 08, 2015 7:37 PM
Thought this would be a good place to post.

Not directly 1st Gen. but this will allow me to free up the Garage for lots of future 1st , 2nd and 3rd Gen. activity!!

Success!! Cover meant for a Jeep Commander DOES fit a 1st Gen Ranger w/ Camper Shell + Spare Tire Carrier!!

Life is Good!

Sunday, February 08, 2015 7:48 PM
Looks good to me and that is priceless for the protection it will provide.

Sunday, March 08, 2015 8:12 PM
Time for a little update post here.

The little Sunbird has been out in the weather all winter but all snug under its car cover and tarp, and I also covered up the '94 Sedan after giving it a bath months ago before we all had all this miserable weather. Today the skys cleared and it warmed up very nicely. Using the excuse I "wanted to air them out a wee bit" actually I really was dying to discover how things had been going underneath there.After pulling back the tarp and removing the car cover both cars were spotless and dry. You'd never know these machines had been sitting outside at all. What troubles I had been experiencing with the car covers back in the summer disappeared when I started covering over with the tarps.

This works. Plain & Simple. Wish I knew of this 25 years ago. However - it is better to learn in my 50's then never to have ever known at all!

A really good 7 layer car cover will cost about $70 and a 15' x 20' tarp about $30. The protection you get out of that $100 is all out of proportion to the money spent. Saves the paint, Suspends the rust. Allows the work you do to last a lot longer. Saves you having to wash the car a lot. Keeps the cats from tramping all over.

I actually believe I can manage to keep these vehicles around for as long as I wash to.

Once again I'd like to express my heartfelt Thanks!!! to everyone that took the time to post their advice along the way! I hope someone gets a chance to read this Thread and also can preserve their favorite rides and enjoy them longer!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search