Found a 85 Pontiac Sunbird today... Almost made me cry. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Found a 85 Pontiac Sunbird today... Almost made me cry.
Saturday, September 27, 2014 1:16 PM
I was about 30 miles from my house looking at 79 Chevette for sale for 500 dollars and nobody was home. So I decided to go to the neighbors house to get phone number. Well in the neighbors yard I saw a Pontiac Sunbird sitting next to the barn. End up talking to the neighbor for a hour. The neighbor wont sell the car because it was a family members car who passed 15 years ago and they don't have the heart to sell it.

Re: Found a 85 Pontiac Sunbird today... Almost made me cry.
Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:43 PM
Neat find and as for the non selling owner that is a real loss for the car just sitting.Seems very ignorant to let a car just sit and go to waste outside with 4 flat tires in all the weather imo.The short the car would probably need to be towed and then gone thru to the letter with all the fluids drained and removing the brake items and just a thorough check and clean up even before a real start up for a car sitting that long.I could write a book on do list and I would not offer more than $500.00 depending on the real condition seen by me on a offer.I like the manual trans option.I seldomly see any old Js sitting around here and if I did I so could find a deal and or negotiate based on my J know how this day.Neat share and I think that is cool.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 4:29 AM
If the Sunbird has been sitting a long time already - it , more than likely - has turned into a basket case much like the '87 RS you are fighting with right now. About 10 years ago we had an '85 Sunbird 4 door Sedan that got parked for just 6 months because my sweetie got her another car she liked better - and when I went back to run it - we had so much trouble with it I wound up getting getting rid of it and the next owner had no luck with it afterwards either - he junked it. Now that car ran perfectly before we parked it so I know this one at best would need a whole lotta TLC to bring it back to it's glory days. So I know from experience these cars are very reliable - but you can't walk away from them.

I had to smile when I saw the Chevette you are looking at Matthew! There is an employee at a WalMart at the Lewisburg - West Virginia store ( I live only 20 minutes from the West Virginia border....Hahaa) that has a 2 door and I always look for it and park next to it when I find myself shopping there. I think if I ran across one of them I myself would probably snatch it up if I had the funds too. Only problem is finding parts for them today is beyond horrible - even far much worse than our beloved 1st gens.

If you find the Sunbird irresistible......keep following up on it from time to time but don't be a pest and piss them off. Kindly remind them their Loved one would enjoy seeing their beloved little Coupe being pampered and back on the road once more. Also make sure you visit driving your 2 white Convertibles during your different visits so that they can see you like white cars too and take great care of older machines. You just might melt that iceberg over time!

Who knows, you might just one day add this to your little fleet my friend

Sunday, September 28, 2014 4:49 AM
a shame to come up empty as both cars look like they could be brought back to life with a little elbow grease and determination. keep in contact with the owners every once in a while, they might come around after thinking about it for bit. my parents had a chevette like that back in the day. i was in my twentys and couldnt stand it but in reality it wasnt a bad car. great gas mpg and very depenable. the back seats folded down and the rear opened up and my father used it to haul very thing imaginal in it, although he used every car he owned like a pick-up truck he went through cars like you go through socks. i wish i had a picture of every car we had when i was i kid, it would be a vast collection of automotive history. i think my love for cars came from all the vehicles i experienced when i was young. from ramblers to camaros to izuso pick-ups there were more than i can remember.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search