Need suggestions...... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need suggestions......
Saturday, January 31, 2015 7:02 PM
This is so not J-Body related but I know how many knowledgeable, resourceful and frugal the members here can be that I couldn't think of a better place to ask....

My taxes has arrived I have been planning on getting a cover for my ranger I recently painted so I can move it outside so I can get some J-Body work done in the Garage ....(so I guess this might be a tad J-Body related after all....LoL). I was prepared to spend a hefty $200 on a cover and more on a tarp to cover that - this has proven exceptionally successful on my other rides. Checking online a came across these ....

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/Ford/Ranger/111A50166A50305A0A6A169A1.aspx?kc=AFFCJ&PID=7149033&AID=10561927&N=4294956663+1000189

that IS eye-poppin' expensive!!!

I need something that can cover an '86 Ranger Supercab WITH a Camper Shell. I don't expect the spare tire carrier to cause too much trouble.

An alternative idea I've managed to hatch up is to buy a sewing machine from Wally World - pick up some used bed sheets from the local thrift stores and simply cut and sew something together that will cover the truck, then cover that with 2 tarps since the double coverage thing seems to work with the J-Bodies. The sheet is simply there to protect the paint form rubbing by the tarps and also will help keep dust off when in the Garage. If this idea actually works I could replace the car covers on the J-Bodies once they were out with the similar items on the Truck too.

So - anyone have any better ideas or suggestions that can beat $340 for a cover plus another $70 for a tarp on top of that? Appreciate any you may have!

Re: Need suggestions......
Saturday, January 31, 2015 10:38 PM
Orlen I am well tired.But I just back in November bought a new cover for my 87 mazda cabplus.I chose to buy a cover from http://www.empirecovers.com off of ebay which is a budge brand cover.This cover is the LIGHT material not like the rain coat stuff and heavy as dirt.I honestly cannot recall the price but,it was lower than the other choices and it works like a charm.I do believe this site shows a good variation of covers for trucks with ALL applications like short bed,long,xtra cab and camper shells.Just check the site and see if this fits your cost and or idea.I am just wiped out long day and not such great sleep Friday nite.

Sunday, February 01, 2015 2:52 PM
I don't have a pickup, but with that kinda $$$. I would look into a shelter thing...

Sunday, February 01, 2015 4:30 PM
Hi Orlen,
How about something like this. Cheap cover and it should fit the Ranger if it will fit a Suburban. Good to put under a tarp to help cushion the paint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-SUBURBAN-SUV-CAR-COVER-1994-1995-1996-1997-1998-/250678299728?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5d974c50&vxp=mtr

Sunday, February 01, 2015 8:23 PM
Thanks for everyones help!

I gave EmpireCovers a good once over but everytime I tried to get information on a cover for a camper shell truck the web page just sent me back to the home page.....a nuisance.

John kinda got me back on the original track I was on several months ago to start with as going with a similar sized SUV idea. After doing some careful browsing I settled on a cover that would fit a Jeep Commander from the same folks that I got my 2 previous covers from in the same number of layers (7) that I've been having such good luck with. I also picked up a 20'x30' tarp off of Ebay too. Both cost $133 together which beat my original $200 budget nicely.

1 additional advantage of covering my unconventionally painted rides this way is that it prevents me from having...... paw prints - all over them after a fresh wash job!! Hahaa!! I AM an animal Lover - but I wasn't quite feeling that love right at this moment!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search