Ugh, it never ends. New problem! A/C compressor makes goddawful noise. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ugh, it never ends. New problem! A/C compressor makes goddawful noise.
Friday, June 12, 2015 8:04 PM
Well, while I was monkeying around with the tcc (see my other thread) I decided to reconnect my ac compressor belt for the summer. BOY it did not like that. A/c blows nice and cold as it should, but it makes this clacking noise like a card in bicycle spokes. I just replaced the damn compressor last year so this is just killing me. Maybe just the clutch??

Check out the vidya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0fpFcfA4iQ

Re: Ugh, it never ends. New problem! A/C compressor makes goddawful noise.
Friday, June 12, 2015 8:35 PM
I would say the bearing in the clutch is toast.I checked autozone and being I can't recall if you had the 2.0 or 2.8.They do carry parts for the clutch and def the bearing.I personally would just replace the Whole clutch assembly as cost wise you come out better as IF the clutch fails then the bearing is worthless vise/versa.Auto zone showed the clutch but no price and NOT available but the part.You might have to shop like napa (my 1st choice) or rockauto and just take the nut holding the clutch off with the (appropriate tool for THIS).Replace the whole unit and the clutch and bearing and seals will be all new since your compressor is fine.Just my take.I would not run the ac as if the bearing freeze's up you will break the belt which might be stretched at this point already.OK

Friday, June 12, 2015 8:48 PM
well, the clutch assembly is 90 at rockauto but the bearing is like 13 locally so I might see if just the bearing gets me by. do I need a bearing press or anything to get that in/out?

Saturday, June 13, 2015 10:41 PM
I honestly do not know John.I have yet to have any ac clutch issue's.My guess since the bearing is in the clutch assembly,once removed you might be able to put the clutch on two blocks of wood and use a chisel or socket extension to push the bearing out.I imagine the bearing seats up against the compressor and should not be too hard to pop out imo.I would need to take a look at my shop manual to see if it shows a better break down of the clutch as I know it should.Then report back.I personally would just do a whole new clutch assembly as your car is approaching 30yrs and $13.00 plus your time and if the clutch bites the dust time wasted.If it were mine I would just replace the whole unit while pricey less headaches later and a new bearing in a burnt up clutch assembly is worthless.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search