83 Cavalier Type-10 Hatch in Grove, OK (from CL) - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
83 Cavalier Type-10 Hatch in Grove, OK (from CL)
Saturday, June 27, 2015 11:11 AM
Not mine, but I troll craigslist daily to try and find a good deal on a decent J in my area.

This one is outside of my area, but you better bet that, if I had a way to get the car home, I'd have bought it already.

http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/5089051601.html

-----
Mike

Re: 83 Cavalier Type-10 Hatch in Grove, OK (from CL)
Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:56 PM
Cool car but the asking price is about $800.00 to high even in that shape.I could be a driving car in real good condition for $1500 up that are less worn.

Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:29 AM
Perfect place to comment on the change in bottom of the market prices nowadays. Some time ago we all were discussing the rise in used car prices. A cheap 'fixer upper' had risen to the point till it was anything but cheap. I remember there were a couple of theories were that the new car prices were lifting up the bottom since new cars are so darn expensive. Seems though, now a days, those cheap cars are beginning to make a come back again. See them all then time in Craigs List these days, and this hatchback with a blown engine is a prime example of what we used to see a few years back. To compare , the Fiero I posted has (supposedly) good drive train but admittedly a lot of TLC , but can be driven and is going for just a few hundred more than this dead duck. So to me this Hatch, while rare and desirable , should be going for far less, down near the current scrap prices or a bit above what a salvage yard would pay. Engine work or replacement is still expensive and who knows what lurks beyond that. But to sum up the asking price of this car is more in line to what we saw a few years ago, and while I don't shop the used car market, I doubt there has been a huge decline in new car prices. My 2 cents worth regarding the price surge - is 3 fold. The dollar dropped in value, the price of scrap shot up, and banks walked away from the consumer while the government gave them free money. People couldn't buy new cars so the supply of used ones - even junkers - began to tighten and prices soared. I wonder if one day those experiences might wind up being taught in an economics class?

Sunday, June 28, 2015 9:49 AM
Wow - that's the first "original face" Cav I've seen for sale in years.

WELL, remember too that we're an older generation that remembered when $10K for a new car seemed steep. Younger buyers only know a world where $25K is basically the base price of a new car, so the thought of getting a used car with even a locked-up engine for less than $1,000 is somewhat alien.

I'm always amazed at what my younger friends think they can get for their used cars.
Tuesday, June 30, 2015 8:37 AM
I definitely wouldn't have paid asking price for it, but given the condition that it's in (assuming it's in as good of condition as the photos show) I'd at least give them a fair price.

This would be a great body for my LN2/440-T4 project.

-----
Mike

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search