Left hand turns car feels like stalling - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Left hand turns car feels like stalling
Friday, November 13, 2015 5:37 AM
Hey guys, I have been having a weird problem going on lately, every time I make a sharp left hand turn under excelleration my car will act like it is running out of gas for a few seconds then regain power again. I am completely stumped. The entire, and I mean entire fuel system is new from tank to injectors, the car runs fine other wise and does not do it on right hand turns. It doesn't feel like an electrical problem, just like it starves for gas for a few seconds. It is an 86 Z24 convertible. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Roger.

Re: Left hand turns car feels like stalling
Friday, November 13, 2015 9:13 AM
There is a co-worker here that had the same problem with a Ford Pickup. He fought the problem for months and discovered the wire going to the fuel pump was pinched. Left turn was causing just enough body flex to cause the wire to short out.

Saturday, November 14, 2015 9:53 AM
Agree with Orlen! Has to be something shorting, pinching or crushing on the turn.

Saturday, November 14, 2015 2:54 PM
Check your harrnes where it comes into the engine compartment on the drivers side. Check for a loose hold down bolt that holds it together with the stationary half. Mine was loose and it partially pulled out the fuel pump wire and fuel rail primer wire when coming to a stop or when the engine shook.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Monday, November 16, 2015 12:41 PM
Thank you for the replies guys, my neighbor has a fuel gauge that I can put on to the fuel rail, he thinks it is long enough that I can stick it out of the hood while I am driving and see if the vehicle loses pressure when I am turning, so I'm going to try that and see if it tells me anything. I will also check the connection for the fuel injectors that you mentioned in the post above and see if that connection is loose, I know some of these connections are 30 years old in here and the plastic is kind of brittle.
Monday, November 16, 2015 2:38 PM
If you are low on fuel, this will happen, because all the gas goes over to the right side of the tank and away from the pick up, temporarily starving the pump from fuel. I have had it happen to me under those conditions.
Thursday, November 19, 2015 11:14 AM
Well, I put the fuel pressure gauge on it today and drove it, the pressure would drop down to about 10 pounds for a second or two until I would come out of the curve so not sure but I think frank is right about the fuel moving to one side, I just don't understand how that can be happening with the baffles in the tank? My tank was over half full too. Next I will fill the tank right to the top and try it again. Also started having issues with this thing just randomly dying in traffic yesterday, didn't matter how fast I was going, would even shut off at 45 miles an hour! Put a scanner on it today and kept getting code 34 ( for1986 says it's the mass air flow sensor) so I unplugged the maf and drove it all day with not problem..... I just ordered a new MAF that will be here tomorrow so hope that solves this problem.
Tuesday, December 01, 2015 2:26 PM
Well, tried it again with full tank and same results so frustrated. Can't find any electrical issue witj wiring, maybe defective replacement pump I used. Guess I will just be prepared for my left hand turns for a while to be not very spirited. Thanks for the advice guys .
Tuesday, December 01, 2015 9:28 PM
When you installed the new fuel pump and sock did you have the sock free from hitting the baffle's and even on fitment.In my opinion if you did not have this prior to the update's your problem lies in the work that was done.Even new components and updating one can make the goof of something as a possibility.I know dropping the tank is not a fun task but,I surely would revisit the idea.

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 5:57 AM
Ron Love wrote:When you installed the new fuel pump and sock did you have the sock free from hitting the baffle's and even on fitment.In my opinion if you did not have this prior to the update's your problem lies in the work that was done.Even new components and updating one can make the goof of something as a possibility.I know dropping the tank is not a fun task but,I surely would revisit the idea.
Hey Ron, the tank will be my next step, just not looking foward to doing it again. I'm thinking a loose connection in there or maybe something to do with that rubber isolator( can't remember what it's called) that goes in between the pump and pickup. So the saga will continue. Thanks, Roger.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search