Engine / Trans Mount Replacement on my 1984 Sunbird - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine / Trans Mount Replacement on my 1984 Sunbird
Saturday, August 13, 2016 1:13 AM
Hope all is well with everyone.

I have been super busy at work rolling out signs. When you go into your local dealer and see digital menu boards and signs a good number of those come right from GM, and my team supplies the content and players

That and something about the temp being a tad bit warm have kept me out of the garage.

So I am working on replacing my engine and trans mounts on my Camaro and got to thinking that it would not be a bad move to do them on the Bird.

Anyone have a good source for poly upgrades?

Paul

Re: Engine / Trans Mount Replacement on my 1984 Sunbird
Monday, August 15, 2016 4:08 AM
I had to build my own, I don't know that there are any available for the OHC...

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:24 PM
Here is a good thread on filling them with polyurethane:
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/poor-motor-mount-life-t135986.html

It is pretty easy to do, but they must sit for 1 week before the poly is fully cured. Vibration is not an issue, as I first thought it might be. All in all, it is the way to go. Full pour is best of course, but more time consuming and requires more poly then filling in the voids of new mounts. Either way, it is well worth the effort and expense.
Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:44 PM
Failed to mention, but need to. In the thread you'll see a failed attempt to fill the voids of a new rear mount. It wasn't under load so the anchor was too high. It had the alternator less than a 1/4" from the hood. That is when I made a full fill one, you'll see in there too. I certainly plan to make more, only all future ones will be full pour not simply filling the voids in new ones. They'll make better mounts.
Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:23 PM
drivesa5 wrote:I had to build my own, I don't know that there are any available for the OHC...

Are you the one that made them? I almost bought a set like that from someone. Ive been trying to find the person that made them.

Also use the actually poly from mcmaster. Do not use construction adhesive or window weld it is no where near the comparison Also you can throw it in the oven and bake it to make cure it faster.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:40 AM
Quote:

...I had to build my own...
Yes, I made them haha.
I have only made this one though, so whatever else you have seen wasn't me. They started as solid mounts for my 2 door Sunbird, but I recently turned that one into poly using some extra G body upper bushings I had. I haven't done the motor ones yet, the solid ones are still in the 2 door. I had put a new trans mount in my wagon (unfilled) and it lasted like 1000 miles before it was bottomed out & destoyed. If you want less vibration and noise, probably go with the filling method. One like mine increases vibration quite a bit. I don't mind it, but it's only slightly better/less than when it was solid.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:00 PM
Here

These were the ones I was going to buy.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:47 AM
Nice, I've never seen those. No rear mount though. I made a solid rear mount (it's basically an aluminum block with holes in it,) the formerly-solid now-poly trans mount, and I delrin-bushed a stock dogbone. Never got around to making the front mount, I had a filled one like the picture.
Well you didn't find who made those ones, but maybe I could help you out if you aren't in a hurry.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search