Ole Sunbird getting better and better!! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ole Sunbird getting better and better!!
Monday, October 02, 2017 9:59 AM
Got to put a few miles on the Sunbird this weekend. Still gotta be careful because the axle shafts are next on my to do list. Still it was pretty surreal to actually cruise around town driving this car trouble free, because ever since I got this car I've had to baby it because that cam and head was in such poor condition.

The timing belt is still resonating on me even though I loosened it up a bit Sunday during the oil change. I did manage to get to the water pump without having to removing the alternator and power steering pump this time. So I will tap it back a bit more the next time I get a chance. Only other issue is the idle is higher I'd like it to be - but if it is like the old Wagon, it probably will settle down the more I use it.

Here is a couple of Videos - 1st one is the engine years ago when it was ticking and clacking away with its poor cam and head. 2nd one is this weekend a lot quieter now.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMiLbhRqXV5EWEU0dKTpETq7UAnqHP3hzKoj_PHkTjfBC964PQL4vCduVPR-mCDyw/photo/AF1QipPYmymfpVsT5kLjrA_q-Kmf2C3kgdssHBZdxb3s?key=bnRMbDltQ1ZjVkFtV3BKX0R1em 1tRENkcl9rLWRn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMiLbhRqXV5EWEU0dKTpETq7UAnqHP3hzKoj_PHkTjfBC964PQL4vCduVPR-mCDyw/photo/AF1QipOmxsP2WCd0GEju6YYZt6qNLTmweYlSr3p2yEvL?key=bnRMbDltQ1ZjVkFtV3BKX0R1em 1tRENkcl9rLWRn

And a few photos for good measure.....

What is that shiny thing on top???? Why it is a happy Bling Valve Cover courtesy of Paul Steepe - and I bet he thought I'd never get around to using it too....Hahaa!!

Re: Ole Sunbird getting better and better!!
Wednesday, October 04, 2017 4:39 PM
Sounds much better, and the valve cover Looks awesome!

Sunday, October 08, 2017 11:54 AM
Just a couple more before I covered the ole Pontiac back up - I sure hated to put the car covers and tarps back on now that I've got it running again. Nice , though, to have an 1st Gen that is enjoyed and appreciated - it will get lots more use now tat it is running well.

It is running like it is 1984 again - sounds like a little sewing machine!! This is in drive and all warmed up. Sunshine really blings that shiny Valve Cover!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOvWoKN1zAFjqfYqCE-PU3pqEBK_m0rZC0G6-BkxXov9dJx5Dj5UGrlyEsofgLO1w/photo/AF1QipOzM3k7eKuWMWMQlc3kHp6VtGWflFDzq4BdzZDV?key=SXlxT081TDFQY2JsVW16TklkSl 9Pa2syWGJsRXN3

And a nice fall photo just before backing it in the back yard....

Saturday, October 14, 2017 6:10 AM
WOW Orlen - your are giving me some competition in the clean engine bay department.

Outstanding!

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:29 PM
Man, that sounds good!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search