New OEM battery cables - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New OEM battery cables
Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:08 PM
I have recently as of 01/07 completed a battery cable upgrade.I bought some oem type cables pos/neg 4 gauge from a local battery shop.I replaced alot of hardware in the battery tray area and painted some things like the hold down for the battery etc.I spent a totall of about 20 bux for the project.I did repaint the vacumm ball which mts under the bat tray and all the wiring has new loom tie wraps and everything is just cherry.I have a couple of pics so u can see some of it and the yellow arrow pointing is the old cable to show u how exact the new cables are in comparison.Noco is the cable manuf .[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] As u can see my battery tray is solid! I had more pics but chose to show these and enjoy.Http://www.noco.biz/ is the web address,the freaking link would not link? Oh well type it in they have what u may need.

Re: New OEM battery cables
Monday, January 09, 2006 4:36 AM
Ron, Looks great. Can you do me a favor and post a pic or two of your alternator and power steering pump. I am about to re-install mine and want to make sure I have everything back right.

I put the head back on yesterday. Now I need to reinstall the alt, power steering pump, adjust the valves, put the throttle body back on, and the valve cover. I wound up ordering a new gasket kit (with all of the o-rings) for the throttle body. So I will need to get that before I fire it up.
Monday, January 09, 2006 5:17 AM
Ron- She looks purty!

You lucked out with a battery tray that solid! Most of these I have come across have turned into swiss cheese by now.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting pics of this stuff. I never remember to bring my camera out in the garage.

Monday, January 09, 2006 8:15 PM
No problem tom I will try and take pics tomorrow of those two items with close ups.I have eng pics but not good enuff to show the bolts wiring etc.I have completely rebuilt my tbi all except the main gasket where it mounts to the intake.And I am going to do that gasket when I do the intake gasket,being it will b removed.Pics for u should b ready soon,provided I get home early enuff to take them.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:11 PM
[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG] If u need a different shot of something let me know ,I took 11 pics and figured these may suit what u need for starters.OK

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:57 AM
Ron, Thank you very much. I think I have it pretty well worked out now. However, I need to pull the head off again. When I went to put in the pushrods, I noticed something strange. It appears that the head gasket did not seat properly at the back right side. People have told me that's this may not be a big deal, because it's not a pressure point, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Friday, June 02, 2006 12:46 AM
Just to revive this post for future battery cable replacement for those who have not done it YET.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:28 PM
Ron-

Good detail. I replaced my cables with some Murray's ones. I had a possum chew mine up a bit when the car was out of service on the side of the house. Definately not as nice as yours. I need to get the corrugated tubing around the cables also.
Nice Pics.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:05 PM
Yeah I figured after about 20 yrs those cables are surely not as conductive and it was so inexpensive to do.I have another project on the back burner now my front axles are gonna get replaced along with the struts.I have been busy with other stuff and saving the cash for parts,I am wondering if I will do it this yr at this point with my house addition to take place here soon the car may have to wait.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:51 PM
It's winter time and battery cables are something to consider upgrading or replacing or those first gens if u have not YET!Just to bring something new into the picture being cold kills those batteries and crappy worn out cables do not help.My old cav starts up great and I have both left/right front NEW axles waiting on my floor once MY new GARAGE is done by jan/feb to install them.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:02 PM
Bumping this thread being some of u newerrrr 1st gens peeps might like to see,and this post IS WAYYY OLD.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search