question for you first GENers... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question for you first GENers...
Monday, May 22, 2006 11:58 AM
hey all. i'm a complete idiot when it comes to first gen jbodies, so bare with me.

i recently started a project with a 1988 camaro v6. its destined to be a NHRA super stock car. the guy who gave me the car says that the engine and trans are fine, just needs a fuel pump. its a 2.8L V6 with a manual transmission.

my question is, are the 2.8's in the j-bodies the same as the ones in the camaros? i have no need for this engine, and nobody that wants to buy it from me. i figure if its the same engine, or at least compatible, some of you guys can use it for parts. i THINK the guy told me it has like 150,xxx miles on it, but it still ran.

let me know,
brian

GO PATS!!!

Re: question for you first GENers...
Monday, May 22, 2006 4:11 PM
the engine you have is a gen 1 cast iron head 2.8l. they were used in the rwd cars till 90, then only in the s10 till 94, were the camaro got the 3.1l is 90, and later got the 3.4l 93-95. all those motors are very simular.

now j-bodies used the ironhead 2.8l 85.5-86. however the j-body used a different timing cover with offset water pump, and like all fwd 2.8l, the motor mount lugs are in a different spot and the starter is on the other side of the block. 87+ went to the aluminum head 2.8l, then in 90, the 3.1l.

so basicly, what you have is only good for a rwd application.

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:49 PM
well damn, i was hoping you guys could at least use it for parts or something. oh well, guess it'll be a learning experience to take it apart and clean it up. maybe i'll stick it in SOMETHING down the road.

thanks for the info.

GO PATS!!!
Monday, May 22, 2006 7:13 PM
Grab an old S10 with a blown motor and throw it in it. Worth a shot?

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:43 AM
yea i've got a lot of possibilities, one project at a time though...

i really don't even know how much it'd be worth it to buy a dead car/truck and then put in an engine with 150+k miles on it.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:14 PM
these motors last forever. i can name 5 2.8 and 3.1l motors with over 400k km on them and still running strong. at 150k miles, its just broken in.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:42 PM
Daryl Scott wrote:Grab an old S10 with a blown motor and throw it in it. Worth a shot?

lol 2.8's should never be put back INTO s10's....

Sorry.....
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-01-13 10:15:53.
This ban will expire 2005-01-14 10:15:35 Pacific Time.
Reason: Free 84 Cavi Drop Top!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:01 PM
i'm going to try to find someone with a little sand buggy or something

i don't feel like taking on another project.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, July 01, 2006 12:21 AM
Ok, so the block itself is different.... but will the heads interchange? I have a 92 Isuzu Rodeo with the 3.1 that I am planning on rebuilding soon and Id love to throw some aluminum heads on it. Ive checked all the junk yards and I havent seen any rwd Camaros or S10's with aluminum heads yet.... but they are loaded with J bodies and a bunch are the v6's. Anyone know if itll work?

I plan on living forever... so far so good
Saturday, July 01, 2006 11:24 AM
they never made rwd cars with aluminum heads. all the rwd cars/trucks got the gen 1 motors. however, a swap is possible. you need to use the 3.1l block, but use 3.1l aluminum head pistons. the top end will bolt right on, and flip the intake manifold around. a v6 f-body is good for the brackets for the accessories. a better place for this swap would be to head over to www.60degreev6.com they are everything to do with just the motors themselves

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search