Tribute to my 86 z24 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tribute to my 86 z24
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:24 PM
a sunny day in august 2003 marked the begining of a era of sorts for me. driving along down 16th ave in langley, i spotted 1st gen z24 sitting under a pine tree, and it didnt look like it had moved for a while. after talking with the owner and much thought, the next day i returned with $300 and transfer papers, and the 86 z24 cavalier was mine. after 365k km on the 2.8l ironhead and muncie 4 speed, it needed a lot of work.. the car ran, but had many electrical issues aswell as a smoked clutch. after completly going through the entrie car front to back, 2 months later it hit the road.

it didnt take long to be bitten by the modding bug, and and a couple months later i had it lowered on sprint springs, added an 86 sunbird gt wing aswell as a small stereo

after a long search, i found an 87 z24 valance. it was rather beat up, but deffinitly worth the $30 and weekend of repairing

18 years wasnt to kind to the paint, so after penny pinching for a long time, i found all the peices i needed, and sent the car in for paint

the car was painted metalic emerald charcoal with semi gloss skirts and bumpers, a very unique color

just before summer, it was time for some new rolling stock. after carful thought, motegi dp6 17x7" wheels were picked out and wrapped in yokohama h4s tires.

after a few nights at the track in summer 2004, it was determined that the car needed some serious motivation changes, as 17.4@83mph was the best the now 380k km motor and 4 speed could come up with. a 5 speed was installed mainly for fuel milage. after buying a core, i slowly started the engine buildup. the block was bored .030" over, line honed and decked. it was filled with probe industries 9.5:1 forged flat top pistons, beam polished rods, speed pro rings, clevite bearings. the entire rotating assembly was balanced

the cylender heads were ported, had bronze valve guides installed and seats ground. a full comp cams valve train went in feturing a comp 260h2 cam, 1.6:1 rockers, comp springs, locks retainers, timing chain, as well as SI stainless steel valves. a fiero intake and throttle body was used, after going under the die grinder for several hours.

july 2005, just after rolling 400k km, the old motor was pulled, the engine bay cleaned up and painted, and the new motor went in. 2 more weeks of building custom headers and a full dual exaust, and she finaly came to life.

now in the meantime i had done some small things in the interior, aswell as picking away at the stereo struff. at this point, i had a moulded gauge pillar with air/fuel and oil pressure gauges aswell as an autogauge tach.

a hurst pistol grip shifter

apc racing seat, and quad bucket swap

in fall, a stroke of bad luck hit when i was backed into in the pits at the track. the damage was all cosmetic, but it was a pain finding parts, aswell as the paint not being able to be matched. the good news was a ran my best time that night of a 15.64 at 87mph.
after driving on blown struts for a long time, it was time for an upgrade. KYB gr2 struts and shocks, energy suspention controll arm bushings, addco swaybars with urethane bushings all got installed. to slow it all down, a 92+ brake swap with slotted rotors and semimetalic pads and goodridge brake lines were all installed.

after the tragic loss of the dark obsession, justins 87 z24, i aquired the entire black interior. after a lot of work on and off, the entire interior was swapped over, along with brand new carpet from trim parts. new racing seats had also been installed, along with a momo wheel

it was also time to finnish off the audio. i had been collecting and installing some gear, but it was finaly starting to get finnished. a pioneer 940mp deck sent the sound down baseworks rca's to jbl gto 75.4 and 601.1 amps. 2 gto 12" subs in a custom box rattled the windows, while jbl power series 6x9 and 5 1/4" componets in custom door pods filled in the rest. the car had around 100sq/ft of sound deadener to quieten the rattles.

june 6, 2006 marked the end, just a couple weeks after finnishing the interior and stereo. on my way home from work, a drunk driver ran a light, turning out right in front of me, i wasnt able to even react before the impact.

a week and a half later, icbc confirmed what i had feared, the car was a total loss. i bought the car back, and it returned home. the next week and a half the car was stripped of everything. the interior was completly gutted in a matter of hours, the usable parts of the body were stashed away along with the entire interior and exaust system. less than a year later, the motor was back on the engine stand with only 20k km on it. the car was reduced to a shell, and filled up with the scrap peices, and awaits its finaly destiny.

this was my first car. it gave me 2 1/2 years of joy. the money i spent realy doesnt matter. i never saw it ending like this. 2 1/2 years of blood sweat and tears was ended all because of a drunk driver.

Re: Tribute to my 86 z24
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:02 PM
dude i know how ya feel, i miss my 92 bird i loved that car to death, stupid parents made me dtich it in MD.

but it gets worse before it gets better.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:47 PM
god i miss the coupes man
i still can't believe 7 mos to the day....

1st 1st gen on air.....
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:09 AM
Nice car before it got hit.

But one question... why don't you fix it??

It looks like some of that will be able to be pulled and straightened and the other stuff will need to be replaced and it might take a while to find all the pieces, but it looks like that is fixable.
I know here we even have some of those in the junkyards for parts.

-Seth

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:44 AM
the damage was a lot worse that it looks. the unibody was bent pretty bad at the front, and the a pillar was actualy pushed back as the passenger door doesnt close. that and the fact that it was deemed a total loss, and it was given dismantle only status, meaning it could never be insured again.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:49 AM
Damn that sucks. Kind of makes me wonder if I should spend the money and time fixing my 2nd gen sedan or just buy one of the 2 Saturns that recently caught my eye.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:35 AM
sharkey wrote:the damage was a lot worse that it looks. the unibody was bent pretty bad at the front, and the a pillar was actualy pushed back as the passenger door doesnt close. that and the fact that it was deemed a total loss, and it was given dismantle only status, meaning it could never be insured again.
O,ok. Ya I just looked and ur up in Canada. That poos cause down here we'd just get it as a salvaged title and then fix it.
Did you get money from the drunk driver or anything. Hopefully.
Regardless, while it was still alive, it was a nice car.

-Seth

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:45 AM
damn, that sux about your car, I remember talking to you about it, I had asked you a while back about lowering mine, and the dual exahust. Are you gonna find another Z24? if so you should get a hatch, but I'll keep my eyes open for ya, with the exception of my own, I see them evey once in a while
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 6:14 PM
ive been looking for a hatch, but down here on the coast, the are hard to find and most are rotted right out. i am planning on getting another first gen. ive got 1 more car to go look at, if the body isnt solid, i have to reconsider my options, as im out of cars that are for sale.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:30 AM
* tear

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:19 AM
heck this forum i think there is a good lookin hatch up here in canada in alberta or something, not wanting to be a jerk about your situation are you selling any of the parts??

Monday, May 14, 2012 7:07 PM
"2 1/2 years of blood sweat and tears was ended all because of a drunk driver."

I know how you feel. I had my Z24 for 6 years (1993-1999) until an senior citizen (who may have been on meds at the time) ran a light in a Chevy Blazer and smashed into the front clip on my car.
I wanted another 87, but couldn't find one so I went back to Mopars and bought an 86 Dodge Omni GLH that I've been perpetually restoring since Feburary of 2000. But, this Mopar guy loved his Z24 which is the reason I joined here. I did finally find a Z24 almost exactly like my red Z in 2003, (it had power windows) , but I passed on it in favor of a very rare 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T. I still have both cars.
My 1987 had a sunroof and induction hood two options which I think most 87s had, if I'm correct. It was - absolutely - a great car. I still have the side skirts, ashtray, alternator and maybe some other odds and ends from that car.
I also like Sunbird GTs, Cimarrons and Citation X-11s, too. I favor my Mopars, but I'm a car (American made mostly) guy.

I will say one thing about the Z24 - replacing the radiator with a 2.8L, made for a very TIGHT squeeze.

Mike

Michael D\'Antonio
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:12 AM
Mike-

I see similiar era MOPARs pop up every once in a while that make me want to add to my collection... Daytona Turbo Z, Shelby Charger Turbo, and even a GLH like yours. You just don't see them like you used to.

I actaully saw an 86 Cutlass Ciera RS Coupe on the road yesterday. The car does not have much of an engine, but it looks sharp.

I would love to have a barn and fill it with 80's era cars. They are the ones I grew up wanting...

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:16 AM
Wow, very cool car. Looking at your progress pics it really made me want to find a Z24 of that era. Definitely a cool looking car. Didn't realize how hard they are to find. Found only one in the states here after a couple hours of looking. It's sad there aren't more around.

87 Z24

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, June 01, 2012 6:47 PM
it was brought to my attention that this got bumped. im 2 cars since this and it still brings a tear to my eye reading back over this and looking at the pics.

some might remember, but i did end up buying another 86 cavy right aways. it was a 2.0l rs, i swapped everything in from the old car within a couple weeks and had it on the road. it then got a megasquirt stand along ecm. i had the z24 hood and bumpers on, along with the 87 valance and a custom set of sideskirts to make the valance look like it belonged on the car. the whole project just wasnt meant to be. in just over a year the car was on the hook 5 times, it really was a love/hate relationship. after the car left me stranded from worn out valve guides on one head, i called it done. in a rash move, i parted the car out and sent her for scrap. all the performance stuff lives on in other j-bodies, the motor is under my work bench awaiting its new assignment. im looking at putting it together and into a datsun 510 wagon, turbocharged, aiming for 350whp.

after that car i bought a 2 year old cobalt ss/sc and havent regreted a moment of it. far quicker, better economy, and a far more refined car. id still trade it in a heartbeat just to have my original z24 back.

Friday, June 01, 2012 8:03 PM
Well glad to see you drop in here it has been awhile.I can understand why did what played out from a older ride as a daily to something newer.I myself still tooling on my old cav but it was never my daily but my truck was(replaced it as a daily )last yr with a 2011 civic brand new.I guess if things work out maybe your J idea will happen again if it presents itself.Good to see you post here after so long.

Monday, June 04, 2012 10:27 AM
I've always missed my 85, and to this day, have yet to find a clean, rust-free first gen Z worth a damn. I swear, I'd trade the Pearl for a mint one without thinking twice. Maybe you'll find another one some day.. I know I won't stop looking.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search