swap help - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
swap help
Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:59 AM
ok so i need help from anyone that has done the 3.1 swap. first off yes i got everything swaped over and wired up except piddly things i don't need till after i get it running right. my problem is the fuel pressure i believe. i have to fight and fight and fight to get it started and when it dose start if i stomp on the gas it bogs out. i can hear the air getting sucked into the engine but its like the engine shuts off when i give it to much gas but stay running if i let off. if i try to drive it i have to pump the petal just to get it to move anywhere. as much testing as i can do is my cousin used his pos tester and said its bleeding off completely when i turn the car off. im wondering if the fuel pump just isn't holding up or if i might have wired it wrong since the pump sending units between the cars were different i just took the pump from the 3.1 car and kinda made it work in the old car.

btw its a 86 sunbird that was a 1.8 and the parts car was a 92 sunbird SE.

any help would be great guys. since i just don't have much time to work on it cus of my job working me like a dog 6 to 7 days a week this swap is taking me forever.

Re: swap help
Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:45 AM
what i noticed when i went from a 2.0l ohv tbi to my v6 was that the tbi pump had 3 wires, and the mpfi had 4. the tbi was missing a ground wire, so what i did was hooked the 2 grounds together, hooked both up to the harness and to the body aswell to make sure i didnt melt anything.

id start off by checking your fuel pressure. if your fuel pressure is bleeding off when the key shuts off, you have a fuel leak, (im sure you have checked for that already) or an injector is bad, dumping fuel into the motor.

Re: swap help
Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:27 PM
ok i just fixed it. see i was using the 86 sunbird sending unit and that little rubber hose that hook's the pump from the sending unit had a crack in it bleeding off the pressure. replaced that hose and now its running perfect.

thanks for the quick reply
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search