1st and 2nd gen door/hood interchange? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1st and 2nd gen door/hood interchange?
Saturday, August 19, 2006 10:24 AM

I'm headed to Pick-N-Pull for one of their 50% off weekend deals. I've got an '86 wagon, and it could use a new driver's door and a hood. Will a second generation door work? How about the hood? I have heard that a 2nd gen hood will fit, but the latch isn't the same as a 1st gen. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SteveM.

Re: 1st and 2nd gen door/hood interchange?
Saturday, August 19, 2006 4:12 PM
1st gen hood is completly different from a 2nd gen. when you look at a second gen, you will see why. now if you wanted to put the whole front clip from a 2nd gen on, then the 2nd gen hood would work.

doors should work up to 89. 90+ got the seatbelts in the doors, so you would need to change a lot of stuff to make it work.

Saturday, August 26, 2006 5:50 AM
Ugh, my hood that is now on my 84 is off of an 89. Also, the fender trim (some of it) is a direct swap from first to second gen. I would not say *EVERYTHING* is compatible, but a good deal of it is.

Saturday, August 26, 2006 8:55 PM
im talking cavalier. a sunbird still uses the first gen sunbird front clip till 89, so any bird/j2000 will have the same hood 82-89. a cavalier 82-87 will use the same hood, and 88-94 will have the same hood (latch is different in later years).

Saturday, September 30, 2006 8:52 AM
Good Info to know. I did not see it specified, so I answered form the pontiac perspective.

I think the interchange it what is saving a good deal of us first gen owners.

Good Luck at the u pick it. I came back with a Nitrous kit last week!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 10:43 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:Good Info to know. I did not see it specified, so I answered form the pontiac perspective.

I think the interchange it what is saving a good deal of us first gen owners.

Good Luck at the u pick it. I came back with a Nitrous kit last week!

best find ever @ a you pick i think!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Sunday, October 01, 2006 4:42 AM
For $6 I walked away with a setup off an 88 Firebird. A wet system with solenoids, lines and TB plate. No microswitch or bottle, but for $6 you just cant go wrong.

I was pretty happy. I also pulled the door lock from this car for my 84. It only had 77K miles, There was a feeding frenzy when it came in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search