More power for the 2.0 ohv - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
More power for the 2.0 ohv
Friday, February 02, 2007 5:18 PM
I was wondering if there were any easy ways to get a little bit more power out of my car. The stock rocker arms on a 2.8 v6 are the same part number as the ones on the 2.0, so I was thinking Crane 1.6 ratio roller rockers for a 2.8 should be a direct fit, right? Also I was thinking get the head shaved to bump up compression slightly and do some mild porting. I was also thing about making a custom throttle body spacer out of some 1" thick aluminum I have. Let me know if you think these mods would be a good idea and if you have any more suggestions I would gladly welcome them.

Thanks,
Josh

Re: More power for the 2.0 ohv
Friday, February 02, 2007 8:29 PM
go snag yourself a spare head and have it shaved w/ a mild port job, don't have to be anything major. open up the exhaust a little. maybe take a few unneeded pounds off the car. use your imagination. just because there aren't many boltons for the 2.0 doesen't mean it can't be improved upon. (ditch the t.b. spacer idea )

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Friday, February 02, 2007 9:18 PM
wouldnt shaving the head lower the compression
Sunday, February 04, 2007 8:44 PM
nick wonoski wrote:wouldnt shaving the head lower the compression

No. Milling the deck of either the head or block will lower the total displacement. However, since the stroke of the piston is unchanged and the total volume at the top of the stoke is smaller, the compression ratio is greater.

I am a newbie to this forum and dont even own a turbo'ed Pontiac (so flame away ), but I would think that if you are going to touch anything performance-wise on the engine, you are going to need the metalized gasket so the standard doesnt decide it wants to give you a hard time on the way to work. Increasing the compression ratio on a turbocharged engine puts some serious stress on the gaskets. Think, at 10 psi stock boost, thats 25 psi, absolute. Multiply that by 8 and thats 400 psi, which isnt that nice to a gasket that was ever never designed to go on an engine with over 9.0 CR which makes 135 psi.
Sunday, February 04, 2007 10:14 PM
he isnt turbo-es, and he doesnt have a 2.0l ohc, he has a 2.0l ohv, predecessor to the 2.2l.

not much for bolt ons at all. id start with mabey the rocker arms, full exaust, and consider a throttle body spacer (before i get flamed, a tb spacer does work on a tbi engine). without going custom, thats about it. if you want more power then that, consider a 2.2l from a 92-94. its mpfi so you would need the wiring and ecu, aswell as the fuel pump. it will bolt to your existing tranny and mounts. aside from that, id go v6, but it depends on what you want to do.

Monday, February 05, 2007 4:03 PM
^^^i couldn't have said it better sharkey. and i can compensate for sharkey by saying yes spacers do work on tbi engines. i had a 1 and 1/4 inch spacer on my first car (dodge shadow) and it did make a difference

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search