Engine Swap 2.0 Sunbird GT Turbo - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Swap 2.0 Sunbird GT Turbo
Monday, April 09, 2007 6:17 AM
Question for you guys:

What are the physical differences in the engine between a 2.0 and a 2.0T? I bought an '88 Sunbird GT Convertible that has a hole in the engine block. The rest of the engine is fine; turbo, head, intake, etc. I found a low-mileage 2.0 from an '89 Sunbird and I was hoping to be able to swap the induction system and head from the 2.0T to the 2.0.

I know that the compression ratio is different between the two engines, so I was thinking I could lower the boost or install a head shim to help offset that difference. My main concern is whether or not they have internals other than the pistons that are different?

Other than suppositions and speculation, does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Shane
'88 Sunbird Turbo GT Convertible

Re: Engine Swap 2.0 Sunbird GT Turbo
Monday, April 09, 2007 10:31 AM
rods, pistons and cranks are stronger.
You should deffinately just find a bottom end.

I had the same thing happen with my car almost. It had a blown headgasket and they didn't tell me. It over-heated when I drove it home and cracked the block. I tried to put a block sealer threw teh coolant system by running it for 30 mins under light load, changing the oil every 5 minutes to get the coolant out but it STILL ended up spinning a bearing.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:07 AM
Actually, the crank is the same for turbo and non turbo. It's been long debated, but GM part numbers are the same for both.

-->Slow
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:50 AM
Thanks Slow. That's the type of information I am looking for.

So you know if the connecting rods are the same? I know the pistons are different, but if the rest is comparable I will probably give it a shot with the head shim to lower the compression a bit.

Thanks.

-S

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:23 AM
my mistake, I looked up the c20let crank which is an 8 bolt but otherwise the same.

He is a knowledgable guy, take his word as gold.

Cardomain|Myspace

Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:34 PM
Quote:

So you know if the connecting rods are the same?

I'm fairly certain the rods are stronger for the turbo engine.

I'd avoid the head shim.
Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:02 PM
If you werent going to use it.. ill buy the main harness off you from the 2.0 turbo

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:13 PM
I have an '87 Turbo convertible and it threw a rod through the block. The blocks are not the same as the non turbo, although you may be able to modify the non turbo block to work. There are provisions in the turbo block to get oil to and from the turbo from the engine. When I replaced mine they were charging 1000 to $1500 for a junkyard motor. I lucked out and found a complete turbo engine and tranny with 1/3 the miles as my original for $300. Now I see whole cars go for that on e bay. Good luck and keep that first gen alive, they are disappearing fast.
Sunday, June 03, 2007 10:53 AM
I just saw a 2.0l turbo at the yard! The motor looked in good condition! But its here in orlando.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search