Feeler: should I sell my 87 Z24? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Feeler: should I sell my 87 Z24?
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:38 AM
Car is an 87 Z24 hatch, 2.8L 5 spd with the MUNCIE trans. I bought back in August as a project car, but simply don't have the time for the resto-mod I wanted to do, so I'm considering selling and getting something newer that I can focus strictly on the performance aspect. I'm not really sure I want to sell yet, but if there is enough interest it is very likely.

Car is in the Ocean County, NJ area, about 20 mins. west of Seaside Heights.

The car does run, although there is a drain on the battery so it goes dead after sitting for long periods. However, the last time I took it for a ride it developed an engine knock (not sure if its upper or lower end, I never bothered with a stethoscope as I planned on a 3400 swap).

There is a water leak on the driver side which forms puddles on the floor in front of and behind the driver seat. I keep sopping them up when it rains so that rust won't form. I believe this leak is simply from a need to replace the door and window weatherstrips as they have quite a bit of dry-rot. The carpet was already worn out (someone didn't believe in floor mats), this, coupled with the water, means it should be replaced.

The dash, and some interior pieces, are cracked, but overall, outside of the carpet, the interior is in pretty good shape, the door panels are good, and the upholstery on the seats is in ridiculously good shape for the age of the car (the seat covers in the pics were hiding this, I didn't even know until i got it home and threw them out). The two front seats almost look new.

I have already replaced the hatch struts since they wouldn't hold the hatch open when I bought it, and also fixed the digi-dash which was not working and also replaced the headlight transistor piece which controls dash illumination because the dash would light up when the headlights were off, and turn off when they were on, instead of the other way around.

The hood has a chip in the corner, but I have a spare hood thats totally intact and just needs paint.

I also have PART of the optional lower valance that someone could fiberglass back to original condition if they wanted to, as well as a set of aluminum rear hatch louvers, a set of 2nd gen phase 1 side skirts, and a set of Canuck Motorsports 1.6/1.7 drop springs new in box.

Well enough of my yapping, here are the pics:

So how much would someone be willing to pay for this? I understand that I wouldn't be getting top dollar as it needs work, but I'd really like to see it get a home where someone would really take car of this rare J-body. I just don't have the time for it anymore.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Re: Feeler: should I sell my 87 Z24?
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 3:34 PM
my answer = NO!!!!! don't sell it man! it's a clean starting platform! keep it!!

watch for flying sparks!!!
Monday, June 11, 2007 6:23 PM
Nice Car...

Friday, June 22, 2007 9:27 AM
I depends if you want to money or a good home.

I couldn't offer a lot of money....but I can tell you it would live a good life.

First things would to keep her covered until I fixed that leak...new carpet, and maybe a swap in trans.....

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:15 PM
Sex. I always said I would never go older than 96 unless it was a 1st Gen hatchback...

Friday, June 29, 2007 5:48 PM
How much are you looking to get?
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:42 PM
KEEP IT!!!

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:56 PM
Damn thats one sexy car keep it!!!!

My car--->http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569452

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:48 PM
ive been looking EVERYWHERE trying to find a 1st gen hatch
Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:16 PM
you should definitely sell it....... to me lol!!!!!! nice find, if you decide to get rid of it you can call me any time at 607 589 7830.
sweet sweet ride.
Friday, February 13, 2009 2:20 PM
If you feel that you will never have the time for the project, I would consider selling it. On the other hand, If you ever see yourself having time in the future, I would keep it. The car is super rare, and if you do sell, make sure it goes to someone who will care for it.

Also, I am interested in buying the rear louvers and the broken lower valence if you would sell them. Let me know.

Nick

Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:26 PM
Def NOT! You seem to have a pretty solid car overall.Even if you do not have loads of time keep it covered period.The hatches are rare to find in good shape.I work on my 1st gen time permitting granted it stays garaged all the time.I have done all my work and once done with the mechanical stuff new paint is last.The newer cars are the same oh same oh and urs stands out and real metal not that cheap crap of today.That's my take keep it.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:53 PM
how much?

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:39 PM
Did anyone else notice the origional post is almost 2 years old?

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:50 PM
Zs Z wrote:Did anyone else notice the origional post is almost 2 years old?

lmao nice catch

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:06 AM
Believe it or not, I still have it, its been sitting in my garage since my first post, so its pretty much in exactly the same condition.

I have a friend with a turbo'd 04 Cav who's willing to sell, and at this point, with my limited time, I'd rather work on that. Problem is, I need garage space first, so this would have to go.

At this point, I'd be willing to let her go for $500, with the extra hood included (nothing else guaranteed included at this point but I may be willing to throw some other stuff in, like the spare sideskirts, at time of sale), Pickup ONLY and again, the engine does RUN but has a KNOCK. So while I feel it could probably get as far as at least the Jersey state lines without issue, I can't guarantee that so having AAA would be a good idea just in case.

Its a great car but my priorities in life have changed and I really want something that only requires some tuning/engine/trans work to get it to the track. The 87 will need interior work, and a lot of the usual suspension bits (bushings, tie-rod ends, etc) are worn out. Its a great project platform for those that HAVE the time, I just don't anymore.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, July 23, 2010 7:39 PM
teh jeffie said you may be willing to trade for said gem. is this true?

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:40 AM
is this still around or did you sell it?

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search