84 Sunbird Floor Panel Replacement - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 Sunbird Floor Panel Replacement
Monday, May 21, 2007 6:47 PM
Hi Board-

Welcome to suckville - population me.

I pulled the carpet and interior out of my 84 convertible to find a perfect passenger florr and a driver floor that looks like the carpet was holding it together.

Any idea where to get a patch panel to fix it? Any idea what the interchange is with other vehicles? I have a u-pick-it close by that I could cut a floor out of a donor, but would prefer new metal if possible.

Please Advise if you have thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Re: 84 Sunbird Floor Panel Replacement
Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:26 AM
Paul, I think others can confirm this but I believe 1st and 2nd gen floor pans are interchangable. If someone can confirm this, I would would look for a 93 or 94 car (newer steel) and cut the entire floor panel out.

I feel for ya, brother. I did the same thing to my car 2 years ago when I was putting some new speakers in the rear and I pulled up the carpet just to peek. Thankfully my floors are good, but I have some rear wheel rust that I need to address very soon.

Best of luck, and post up pics. Do you weld?

Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:49 PM
Hey Daryl-

Been a while. Well, with gas prices headed where they are, I am slowing down on the Camaro and ramping up on the Sunbird. The guy that was gonna do my clutch is too busy now, so I have the floor, the clutch, and an AC Compressor and I am in business.

I got it priced at $150 to blast out the floor. But they want me to find the patch panel then it will be about another $200 to get it welded in and cleaned up. The downside is I have to come up with the metal. I have a u-pick-it I can get it from, but the chances of a clean first gen showing up are getting slimmer every year, so I need the interchange info on the floor. Every collision I have talked to will not touch it. Every one I call says the parts are no longer available.

So, floor first so I can get the interior back in and make room in the garage to do the clutch and AC compressor. Then the mods.

But 30+ MPG on the highway sounds pretty good now. It is no fun to drive with no floor and a shot clutch

Sunday, June 03, 2007 4:35 PM
Not to steal the thread, but on mine there isnt much rust, and someone told me, just get some sheet metal, sheetmetal screws and some tar, and just drill, and bolt the metal down, and tar it around it.. would that work??? this may also help you too, sorry, dont mean to take the thread man..

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Monday, June 11, 2007 6:21 PM
FINALLY!

I fixed the floor this past weekend. Grinder + POR 15 + body epoxy + sheet steel + seam sealer + undercote = no more problem.

Carpet goes in this weekend. Then onto the clutch and mods...

Monday, June 11, 2007 7:12 PM
Paul,

Glad you got her done. I have heard that body epoxy and POR-15 will stop rust dead in its tracks. Plus you aren't likely to run this car in the snow & salt...so you'll be good for a long time. You made a good choice to "get 'er done" as they say.

Happy cruising!
Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:59 AM
I have the floor all fixed now. I started installing the new carpet. Much larger PITA than I was expecting. You have to trim it on all corners to make it fit. The color is spot on for the original though. But, no dead pedal pad for the clutch

Should be done over the next couple of weeks, then on to the clutch.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 3:19 PM
Interior is all back in now with one exception. I swapped out a new setup from an 86 sunbird that had 10K on it when it met its maker.

At any rate, the passenger seat bolts to the floor in different locations on the 86 vs my 84.

Can you take the seat apart and use the old setup?

Feels kinda stock carish with only 1 seat up front.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 3:53 PM
few pics - on new cardomain page

Paul 84 Sunbird

Friday, July 06, 2007 6:49 PM
Clutch Done!

Now need brakes and driver window motor that seems to have failed on the way home...

Monday, July 09, 2007 8:50 PM
Advance auto CARRIES window lift motors (that's how they label it in the search) And they do carry both left and right hand side units!!!! And yes they do make them for YOUR CAR, I checked!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search