idle problem - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
idle problem
Tuesday, September 04, 2007 9:39 AM
Got a problem that is stumping me. My 2.0 '85 cavalier runs great when driving, but won't idle at all when it's in gear and the engine is warm. After I start it, it will idle just fine, but after a drive, it won't idle unless I put in neutral. I'm kinda stumped. Any ideas?

Re: idle problem
Friday, September 07, 2007 8:52 PM
Could be the TCC switch the torque convertor switch which normally causes crappy idle when coming to a stop.I would check ur EGR valve remove it and clean out the carbon build up and make sure the pintal which is metal moves freely up and down.IF after cleaning and the same issue pull the vacumm line off and see if the car runs good or the same.IF it runs bad replace the egr I know napa sells it for the yr model being mines the same.I could ramble on and think it might be the cat convertor but normally that would be a problem non stop if its clogged or blocked so rule that out if it's not really old.By the way u can disconnect the the tcc switch on the trans and see if it makes a difference as well,being I have a manual I do not know the exact location it will def have wiring going to it and unplug it,bc ur speedo is the only switch aside from the reverse switch on it.I know sharkey who owns a 1st gen KNOWS.That's where I would start and having a long day my thinking cap is tired.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search