89 2.8 into 86 z24 cavilier - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
89 2.8 into 86 z24 cavilier
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 5:56 PM
i was just wondering what the basics were to swapping an 89 2.8 out of a cavalier into a 86 z24 cavalier....everything looks preety much exactly the same. i just need the basics...like will i need to use the 89 engine wiring harness, computer, fuse box.....what problems should i expect? and will the 89 cavilier exhaust(the whole thing) fit right in place w/ the 86....the 86 is a hatchback and the 89 is a z24 also

Re: 89 2.8 into 86 z24 cavilier
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 6:47 PM
you will need the 89 wiring harness and ecm, the fuese box is actualy part of the dash harness and isnt needed. no clue on the exaust.

the speedo inputs to the ecm could be an issue. 88 and older cars have the vss signal sent to the cluster, then over to the ecm. 89+ cars are oposite, ecm before the speedo. if you have a 5 speed, the original wire will stay in the car for the speedo and everything will be fine. however, if you have an auto, you will need the ecm to have a vss input for lockup to function. realy the only way around this is to use an 88 wiring harness and ecm. aside from that, should be a bolt in affair.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search