200HP???? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
200HP????
Monday, November 05, 2007 5:11 PM
I am a new member but have referred to this forum many times in the past. I have an 86 Skyhawk t-type that i am short blocking. I was wondering if anybody had any (cheap) ideas of mods i can do with the motor out. I am planing on running msd, (I need a coil and i can find an msd for about the same price), and exhaust. The turbo that came with the car was shot so i replaced it with a garret t2(oem). I am hoping to get about 200 out of it if this is possible.

Any help will be appreciated

Re: 200HP????
Monday, November 05, 2007 6:51 PM
you're probably better off going with a 3.1. I doubt that engine could produce 200 hp

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:05 PM
T3 turbo + MBC would be the quickest and cheapest route to 200 HP. Reliability might be an issue....depending on how froggy you feel with that MBC.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:20 PM
I am going for 200 on my 84 1.8 Turbo.

Air Box, Intercooler, boost control, cat-back are all on the list...

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:17 PM
Would running e-85 help keeping the temps low enough to be reliable-ish? Better question would be has any one ever attempted this in our cars?
Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:05 AM
Bill, etal.... 200 is possible with the 1.8 block, but will require some serious mapping-thought and parts selection(s). A cheap build will only get you a pile of expensive parts on the ground when you wack her in the azz the first time!

With that out of the way go to the garret site & check out turbo maps. that T-2 is way to small to support the numbers you're looking for... can you say compressor surge?

Brian.... E-85 has been tried, but isn't available in many parts of the country. It's a trade off really as the benefits of it are only when under boost. For "upper" levels of boost try using VP import fuel...which is oxygenated, and good for a 5% increase over C-16 or ERC turbo fuels. Best bet would to add a boost controled alky/meth injection system, for those happy times while driving under max effort.. In any of the oxygenated fuels you must resize injectors and reprogram your tune by about a +4% margin. You could try to "crutch it" by jacking up fuel line pressure, but then you must be careful about the "duty cycle" of the injectors. Parts are expensive, but a quick remap is "almost' free if you have the equipment/system to do it.

Hope this helps a bit................... Alan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search