Status of 1st generation J Cars in California. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Status of 1st generation J Cars in California.
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 12:35 PM

Well, we actually have a few 1980s American cars still on the road here. Not very many due to our stupid Kali emissions laws. Anything before 1985 is as rare as a 1960s car out here. There is a noticeable gap between 1976 and 1985 where cars for those years are almost nonexistent here because of those emmissions crackdowns on carbs. Despite that, a few RARE RARE early 80s J bodies have managed to survive. I have personally seen:

Two 1982-83 Chevy Cavs
A few 1984-1985 Buick Skyhawks
One Firenza Wagon and one GT Coupe
A couple Cimarrons
Only one Pontiac: 1984 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

There are still many models I have yet to find as they are now very sparse here. You will actually find a lot more J bodies in Arizona.

That being said, 1982-1987 J bodies are in trouble here. The last remnants are in genuine bad shape. In 10 years, there may not be anymore 1982-1984 models.

I see a lot more K cars than early J bodies. I will see an 80s K car sometimes every day. I am lucky if I see a few early 80s J bodies here once a month.

Californians are not keen on American cars of the 80s. We have a lot of expensive Ferraris, Bugattis, etc. The only 1980s cars in any appreciable numbers left here would be Ford Crown Vics and Chevy Caprices. Foreign cars of the 80s outnumber the Americans one here almost 100 to 1. I see as many as five 87 Corollas here everyday.

The GM J Car needs help out here. We need more enthusiasts like you to keep this car alive.

Re: Status of 1st generation J Cars in California.
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:10 PM
If you come across another 82 or 83 Cavalier (preferably a 2 door or hatch) please let us know. There's a lot of us that live in rust belt states where these things are non-existant because they rusted out 15 years ago. I would LOVE to get my hands on another early J-car but I'm interested in the early models, and especially the "Cavalier Cadet".

Re: Status of 1st generation J Cars in California.
Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:35 PM
Well to throw a bone out there tonight at my local walart what do I see when I leave the store? Yes a 1985 yellow cavy wagon with the yuck aftermarket whl covers but the body was solid and not beat to death?Even my wife knew I was like whoa that is cool to see my car with two more doors and a hatch and even the same color!Somebody must like that car a azz load like I do mine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search