Reverse Lights on 4 speed manual - 84 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Reverse Lights on 4 speed manual - 84
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:02 PM
Hey Board-

Trying to tie up some loose ends before summer...

When I shift into reverse I have to hold the stick in place in order for the reverse lights to come on. Can I adjust this or do I need a new switch?

Re: Reverse Lights on 4 speed manual - 84
Friday, March 21, 2008 8:09 PM
Paul mine does the same thing they work but ,0nly when I initially put it in rev.I am thinking it is prob just a adjust or worst need a new switch which is mounted under the rubber boot.U simple need to pull the shift knob off (allen wrench) remove console couple screws and follow the white pull tab to the switch and see if its adjus or not I do not know right this minute.Being they work ,its one or the other and if I have time sat I will chek mine being I have a 4spd man if u do not post it first I will tell u what I find out.OK

Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:22 PM
Ok removed the console in 20 min and low and behold the reverse switch does have a small flat head screw to adjust the switch! I backed it out to touch the metal tab for rev and they now stay on while in rev.So here is a pic of what the switch looks like and u have to remove one screw in the small pocket at the brake, 2 at the ash tray holder there behind it and 2 at the carpet below the seats and u have 2 screws above the climate knobs pull the grey trim off has two clips that hold it in after u remove the screws,then two more in front of the shift boot and remove.If u did not know hope this is helpful also u have one screw in the ebrake handle. How's that for as much of a answer and pic to the issue.Simple fix

Monday, March 24, 2008 8:16 PM
Cool - Thanks Ron. I have to take the console off when I replace the e-brake cable so the timing is right.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:37 PM
Yep - Fixed!

One down - 20 to go!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:12 PM
Sweet deal see I kind of know something about Js.I am currently working on my intake manifold( OH crap) and loads of fun.I have it removed what a biatch and I will take pics and describe things to the letter on the do's and don'ts on this project.I will say having a garage and the car on jack stands makes it much easier and I will do the gasket ,clean everything and reassemble.This will take time being I am repl the coil,and both heater hoses one going to the man,and one to the hardline which goes to the water pump area.I am going to repl the freeze plugs in the intake man it's soaking to clean the goo inside and out.I could write a book now but,will save it for when I post pics and all the drama.My car was running way rich even the temp sensor was only a couple yrs old and suspected a leak either at the base gasket the throttle body (def worn) or the gasket sucking air which looks somewhat a maybe.So with time I will put it all bk together and show my work,unforn with this u do have to pull the distributor out,but setting the timing won't be too hard.That's the drama here

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:47 AM
Always something.

I am glad to see others taking an active interest in keeping these cars going.

2009 - Hello MI Historical Plate for me

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search