Wheel Bearings - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wheel Bearings
Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:14 PM
Hello all,

I have ordered a set of wheel bearings for my 83 Pontiac J2000 convertible. It has been needing wheel bearings for the past 8 years...just haven't gotten around to it. (I have nearly no miles on it)

Anything special I might need to know that Haynes does not discuss in the manual? any tips?

It appears as though I have ordered an entire hub assembly.

Thanks

Bob Hall
1983 Sunbird Convertible

Re: Wheel Bearings
Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:15 PM
I am replacing the front wheel bearings...I forgot to include that.

Thanks

Bob

1983 Sunbird Convertible
Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:26 PM
Not sure on the specifics u might need to know.I have my ride dissasembled intake off and just got done with painting the block.Long story short I have new axles left/right new that are next and will post pics of the job while it is related to a degree or two.I can't wait to do my front end resto with ALL new parts brake wise and those bearing hub etc.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:01 PM
Ok, Looked over the Haynes manual, and it says you may need to use a puller to get the wheel bearing assembly out. Anyone replaced theres and found the need for the puller?

I think it is one of those tools I can borrow from the auto parts store with a deposit.

Bob

1983 Sunbird Convertible
Saturday, June 28, 2008 9:25 AM
Just as an update...

I got the project done last weekend. I had a lot of issues getting the torx loose from the hub. I had to drill one of the bolts out. I replaced the bolts with a regular bolts from Napa.

After I took the wheel off, I realized that one of the CV boots was busted and grease was absolutely everywhere. Then upon further inspection, the brake lines looked like they were on the brink of busting. So I replaced those, and put on a new caliper for good measure since I was already going to have to bleed the brakes.

Take care,

Bob Hall
83 Sunbird Convertible
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search