86 Turbo drop top bird - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
86 Turbo drop top bird
Monday, August 04, 2008 10:55 AM

Just curious to what you guys think. I've been out of the J community for about a year, and I may be jumping back into it.

I found this beauty after being upset with looking at a 2nd gen Z... Came home clicked on autotrader, quick search, and tada!

Miles: Unkown
Motor: 1.8L Turbo
Tranny 5spd

Top looks to be in great shape
Body seems to be pretty mint in pictures (of course, I could be wrong, lord knows i've drove over 2 hours to look at what appeared to be a steal, and turned out to be a hunk of junk).

The bra would have to come off.

I should be getting a pretty decent pay check here in a few weeks, so hopefully it's still there... But I am thinking of offering $1200-1500 for it provided its as nice as it looks.

opinions please

btw.... for those that don't remember me, or know my past collections...

1987 Cavalier Z24
1988 Sunbird GT Turbo
1990 Cavalier VL
1997 Bagged and Dragged flat black LS Sedan (Air Ride Mafia OG)

Re: 86 Turbo drop top bird
Monday, August 04, 2008 1:21 PM
I was looking at that car as well. I talked to the guy about it seems to be in reasonable condition given its age.

Miles = 130K

I personally would leave the bra on, but that is just me
Monday, August 04, 2008 1:34 PM
haha really? where ya from?

im not a fan of bra's... i like them headlights exposed

Top down, headlights on!

Did you go look at it in person?

Monday, August 04, 2008 2:05 PM
I'm from Wisconsin.... so no I have not been able to see it in person. I just called the guy to see what he would tell me about it.

I would keep the bra only because I had one on my first car, which was a 90 sunbird conv. just a bit sentimental.
Monday, August 04, 2008 8:35 PM
Ah gotcha. The bra would be a road trip only thing...

Thursday, August 07, 2008 10:24 PM
Well just wondering what is the asking price.IF 1500 is what is the price no way.Even tho the mileage is low,age etc I would only offer maybe 9-1000 bc 1 most wont b interested in a old hard to get parts for,2 most have no clue about how to work on these cars,3 being u know the 1st gens this dlr will unload this just to see it leave for a modest price.That's my take and advance auto and auto zone carry crap loads of parts for these old js I know mines a 85.

Friday, August 08, 2008 5:41 PM
You have a good point, but I can't even swing the $1000 that I would offer right now. I'm still in college and just stuck mad money in my 1994 mustang GT this year...... But one day I will get my turbo bird.

Oh ya, asking price is $1988, its on the window in the first pic
Saturday, August 09, 2008 10:43 AM
well i am hoping this is a one owner, and was babied. SO the turbo has no shaft play, gaskets are still holding, and its still making boost. If its not making boost, and I buy it, rebuild the turbo, and put that extra hp on a motor that hasn't seen it in a while, it's probably going to blow the motor.

But I did find a 1.8 short block on ebay for 250. so may be something to buy to have laying around just in case. lol

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:34 AM
I say go for it especially with a block waiting.
Monday, August 11, 2008 8:37 PM
Eric Davis wrote:I say go for it especially with a block waiting.

I probably am going to go for it.... It sucks so hard waiting around 2 weeks, to get my check so I can at least go make a offer, and take it for a spin to see if its even worth my time. Its got to be a daily driver after I sell my xB until I find a 03+ 5spd LS Sport. Then the bird can get parked, and built up a bit.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search