Front suspension work. Thoughts? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front suspension work. Thoughts?
Friday, September 12, 2008 6:47 PM
Well, its pretty obvious my '85 Skyhawk T-Type is in need of shocks/struts, and I've been reading up on what very little I can found about 1st gens, and what I can find on 2nd gens (as I've read there's very little difference), and have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to do the fronts for right now. I'll do the backs before too much longer...

Here's what I'm thinking. I would really like to lower the car 1"-2", but haven't been able to find springs for less the $250 or so, and that just seems crazy. I put FR springs on my 04 Mustang GT for $150, but then I guess everyone and their uncle has a Stang... So, unless someone can point me in the right direction I'm just going to leave the presumably 23 year old springs in place for now... but will go with KYB GR2 struts (I've read they work good with a bit of lowering, and I may change my mind). I found them at Summit for around $72, that's only about $6 more than the parts stores want for the Monroes, and I've got KYB Gas-A-Just all around my Belvedere and love the ride (I realize GR2's are not GAJ's but) So, I'm also wanting to replace the upper strut mount, and lower control arm bushings, and lower ball joints, and will add some type of boot. Not sure if I want to use the KYB with bumpstop or not.

So, am I missing anything here? Does that sound like a good combo? I've got a little slop in my steering rack, but the tie rods seem to be in good shape as do the wheel bearings, so for now I'll leave that alone.

thanks...

Re: Front suspension work. Thoughts?
Friday, October 10, 2008 8:08 AM
Eibach are the only lowering springs I know of for J's. PST makes a front end suspension kits in factory or polyraphite(graphite impregnate polyeurothane) performance kit.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:25 PM
Eibach no longer makes spring sets for any early year j-bod. There might be a few loose sets out there floating around, but they are hard to come by..... especially if you're unemployeed. There is a set (one set) available for $220.00 + shipping ...fronts & rears, custom made, cnc machine of German steel....brand new & powder coated. Lowers your vehicle approx 1.5-1.7 inches, depending on model.... first gen only !

Have a matched complete set of ALL bushings for entire car, front to rear....$209.00 + shipping. First gen only !

Alan
Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:02 PM
alan i want to buy those! PLZ if there still for sale/
Tuesday, March 09, 2010 5:18 AM
PM sent Brian........
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search