5 Speed Gum Up - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5 Speed Gum Up
Sunday, December 19, 2004 7:56 PM
Hey I Was Just Wondering About Something And I Need Some Info

Its About That Time When It Gets Cold Out And This Being My First 5 Speed Car I Dont Really Know Anything About It But Drive It! And Every Morning I Have To Let It Warm Up For About 15-30 Mins Before I Can Drive It.. Because The Tranny Gums Up And I Cant Move The Shifter! I Have To Work It Around A Little! But I Was Wondering If A Engine Block Heater Would Help... <br>

'90 Chevy Cavi (painted hood, painted trim, new tails, Front Bumper, Rear Bumper Upgrade, APC Tuner Muffler, pioneer sound system, Skyhigh Spoiler, Headlite strobes, Headlite glowers, Headlite L.e.ds, L.e.d Underbody kit, Neon Underbody kit inside

Re: 5 Speed Gum Up
Sunday, December 19, 2004 8:03 PM
Stupid Sig! <br>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'90 Chevy Cavi (painted hood, painted trim, new tails, Front Bumper, Rear Bumper Upgrade, APC Tuner Muffler, pioneer sound system, Skyhigh Spoiler, Headlite strobes, Headlite glowers, Headlite L.e.ds, L.e.d Underbody kit, Neon Underbody kit inside
Sunday, December 19, 2004 8:53 PM
sounds like the gear oil needs to be changed <br>

Sunday, December 19, 2004 9:56 PM
sounds like it has the wrong oil in it. if it has gear oil in it, when the oil is cold it thickens up and wont push from behind the syncro, and wont go into gear.

the way to correct this is to drain it out and put in gm syncromesh oil, or at the least synthetic 5w30. syncromesh is basicly synthetic engine oil but it has additives taylored for use in trannies. this should fix your not going into gear problem. however, if its cold enough were you are, you may also want to get a block heater as well. <br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 2:08 PM
Yeh, you need to put in some syncromesh. You can buy it at autozone on the Gear oil shelf (Pennzoil syncromesh) for about $4/qt. It takes a little over 2 qts to fill it.
<br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 8:58 PM
thats what i have in there... Gm Syncromesh 5w 30 <br>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 1:52 PM
6 dollars a quart 2 <br>

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 4:44 PM
The actual syncromesh fluid is about 12 bucks a QT with my discount at the local dealer.And syncromesh doesnt come with a viscosity rating on the bottle either.Just my .02 cents worth. <br>

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 11:18 PM
gm synrcomesh doesnt, but there is other syncro oil out therethat does. i believe castrol syncro oil is rated at 5w30. i know pensoil also makes a syncro oil, as well does mobil one, royal purple, and redline.

btw, according to my book at work, gm syncromesh is actualy re-labled castrol syncro oil. <br>

Friday, December 24, 2004 10:03 PM
rule of thumb: cast case= gear oil........aluminum case=automatic trans fluid (yes i said auto fluid in a standard)..
Friday, December 24, 2004 11:10 PM
not a good rule. thats brought from trucks were that is true for transfer cases and sometimes is correct for manual transmissions. an example, the nv4500 in gm trucks 90+. it is cast iron case with aluminum tailhousing. it however takes gm or castrol syncromesh. if you use gear oil it grinds when shifting, and use ATF, you will burn it up from lack of lube. i have seen both cases.

for fwd, there are no cast iron manual transmiison i have ever seen. does that mean they all use atf??? toyota and nissan's use gear oil (aluminum case), and honda uses 10w30. ford does use ATF, and so does mazda. gm uses syncromesh.

the lesson: dont listen to the rule of thumb in any case, it could end up costing you a lot of money. always follow the manufacturor's recomendation <br>

Saturday, December 25, 2004 6:49 PM
i was told that it may also be the lower shifter cable... since they use a really thick oil inside it... and it freezes up! <br>

Saturday, April 02, 2005 11:59 AM
so if i use any sincro mesh geer oil in my tranny ill be ok?
cause its satt and i need my car tomarow and have no geer oil in the tranny right now

Saturday, April 02, 2005 12:10 PM
yea you should be fine. 5w30 works to in a pinch, however i find it alone will cause it to feel a little more firm when shifting.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search