RPMs dropping on acceleration - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RPMs dropping on acceleration
Monday, January 10, 2005 12:16 PM
I have a '93 Z24 which has been experiencing some acceleration problems. It is a 5-speed manual and I've noticed that on accelerating, usually in 3rd-5th gears, the RPMs will go up smoothly past 2500 or so then drop 200-500 and resume their climb. It will do this pretty consistently with moderate throttle.

What could be the problem here? I was thinking fuel filter or PCV valve, which are both about 30K miles old, but the manual says the fuel filter doesn't ever need to be changed anyway(!) This couldn't be a fuel pump problem, could it? I actually just had the fuel tank replaced but they said the fuel pump/sending unit were OK and they remounted them as is. Any ideas?

Re: RPMs dropping on acceleration
Sunday, January 16, 2005 7:53 PM
I've never heard of this particular thing. someone else here will know.

shines the j-body signal
Sunday, January 16, 2005 9:11 PM
i think you need gas dude, if thats not it, look for a vaccum leak, the smallest one can cause 'er to cut out and drop, not wanting to accelerate. <br>

RedCavyRS99: dude your so screwed up its @!#$in great lmmfao
RedCavyRS99: dude you really are the most @!#$ up person i know lol
RedCavyRS99: dude get help before you get hurt lol
RedCavyRS99: you really do need help lol
Monday, January 17, 2005 8:22 AM
If its a 5 speed how are your rpm's dropping?? Are you pressing the clutch in? The momentum of the car should keep it above 500rpm <br>

Monday, February 14, 2005 9:18 PM
pezed wrote:If its a 5 speed how are your rpm's dropping?? Are you pressing the clutch in? The momentum of the car should keep it above 500rpm

Bumping this thread back up. The car is still doing it. I do not have the clutch depressed, when I'm on the gas it will rev up above 2000 then "slip" down a couple hundred RPMs and continue climbing, then slip again, etc.

Seems to happen in all gears, mostly on harder acceleration. Does anyone recognize this problem? Does it sound like clutch/gear slipping or an engine problem like fuel/exhaust/ventilation?

Again, the car is a '93 Z24, 3.1L, 5spd, all stock, 144K miles. Thanks!
Monday, February 14, 2005 9:34 PM
sounds like a tranny issue.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:38 AM
I think its fuel related......what does the engine sound like when the rpm drops? does it bog down or anything?

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:02 PM
i have a 93 z24 that did the same thing. all you have to do is replace the fuel filter cause at first i thought it was my fuel pump, but my mechanic said all it was, was that the filter was clogged because you don't use as much gas in those gears as you would in the other gears. The tranny has nothing to do with it. i just replaced my clutch cause when you have a tranny problem all it will do is either slip while it's in gear and the rpm's will go up but still grap or you will have problems putting the car into gear. If you still have problems let me know cause i can relate to you with his car.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:29 PM
look...K.I.S.S .."Keep It Simple Stupid"..follow the basics..first off your manual tran..if your rpms drop from say 2500 to 200 in the same gear without touching the clutch..it would feel like like you slammed on the brakes but kept a slight roll(thats if it happens within all of 1 sec)...if it pudders down to 200rpms in the same gear..ok then thats different, if thats so now you go on to fuel/iignition prob..you jump on the gas and it dies...hey whens the last time you chnaged your spark plugs and wires, your appling load and not recieving...i mean it could be a dirty fuel filter but i think if it was lack of gas you would be having more faults than accured..but anything could happen..check the fuel psi on idle and reved..could even be a faulty fuel reg...does the car misfire??..does it do this on idle also??...need more info dude..but i wouldn't jump to fuel filter just yet
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search