4.3 Vortech TT AWD - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 4.3 Vortech TT AWD
Friday, February 11, 2005 6:19 PM
the biggest thing about selecting a rear end is gear ratio avalibility. you need to have the same front and rear final drive ratios the same or you will kill something in no time flat. thats the biggest part about it.

a ford thunderbird supercoupe also has IRS and a pretty tough rear end. i also know there is some aftermarket for that stuff.

Friday, February 11, 2005 6:30 PM
I never thought about the gear ratio thing, if I ever did do a AWD conversion I would have "killed something" thanks I'd go with the thunder bird IRS just cause its beefier and has some aftermarket support, I dont like the idea of using ford parts though, lol

Friday, February 11, 2005 6:37 PM
FWIW, if you find an S10 with a 2.8l engine, the rear/front gear ratio is usually a 4.10. 4.3l trucks usually got 3.42 and 3.23 differentials. I've read that 3.73 and 3.08 gear ratios exist, but I can't confirm that.

The AWD transfer case used in Astro and SyTy trucks cannot be used in a 2wd configuration. The AWD "viscous clutch" will weld itself together in no time flat.

I've seen that Ford T-bird suspension. I saw one used in the rear of a 41 Ford pickup. Very cool. And the Ford 9" rear is still the axle of choice for many drag racers.

"Have you heard about the new Ford quality control program? They put a blue oval on every bad part on the vehicle."

-->Slow
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:05 AM
i sense alot of potential within this forum.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Monday, February 14, 2005 9:31 AM
i sure dont..low reving 4.3 dosnt excite me
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search