How to replace door lock - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to replace door lock
Sunday, February 13, 2005 3:28 PM
Is this easy to do? my driver side lock does not work with the main (or spare) key. I believe im going to need to replace the lock cylinder. Ive tryed wd40 and other lock lubes and nothing.

Are there any special tools or instructions i should be aware of?

btw, its a 93 bird 2dr with power locks

thanks in advance

Ben

Re: How to replace door lock
Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:40 PM
Well what happens when you put the key in? Maybe there is just something in the lock? Something WD-40 cant get...

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:50 PM
The key will turn about a millimetre or two then stops...i dont know what else to try

My bird has new paint, the body looks good and now under the hood i go. Did i hear someone say bore to a 3.4?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:51 PM
cough up the extra dough and bite the bullet... use this as an excuse to have an actuator kit (a.k.a. door poppers) put in. I know I would. shave the keyhole and go keyless entry.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:53 PM
yeah..see that is an option, but unfortunately its a hefty fine because if you get into an accident and cant open your door, and someone on the outside cant use your lock to get in, then its considered a safety hazard...or something like that

My bird has new paint, the body looks good and now under the hood i go. Did i hear someone say bore to a 3.4?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:55 PM
life is short, ya only live once, customize how you wanna customize

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:28 PM
My dor does that sometimes on the passenger side, I never figured out what it was. sometimes it works, sometimes it wont. But I'm shaving the handles soon anyway just like sugested above so I dont care. it is illegal were I live but if they say you cant shave your handles cause they cant get into the car if they need to get you out then it should be illegal to drive around with your doors locked......cause it disables the outside handle anyway, most newer cars lock the doors once you go over 20 kph so it stupid they dont allow you to not have door handles, if I ever get get a ticket for it thats going to be my arguement

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:33 PM
O yeah, I never answered your question ,lol
It's not hard to change the lock at all, you need to change all the locks if you want to use the same key for all the doors, lol or just shave the trunk if you have a electronic trunk release and use the lock from it in your door (I was thinking of doing that) but anyway, you just take off the door panel and detach the metal arm clipped onto the back of the lock, then you'll see a little fork like thing between the lock and the door on the inside with a tab sticking out of it, get some pliers or vicegrips and clamp down on that tab and pull the clip out, then the lock will fall out of the door, then put the new lock in the door put the clip back on and re attach the metal rod then put your door panel back on, it acn be done in less than a half hour if you know what your doing.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:52 PM
Thanks for the instructions. Im gonna call gm this week and see how much a new set is. Otherwise ill just switch the door and the trunk if the new looks are too much.

thanks again
Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:11 PM
it's probably gonna be anywhere from $70-150 USD apiece... it'd be about $200 for the actuators and a little more to have them professionalyl installed .... I'm not trying to push but I know I would... like tyrin said... that's one of the stupidest laws ever. among many stupid laws out there. If that were an applicable law why do most luxery vehicles come with keyless entry stock? shave it all go keyless.

Door Popper Kit

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:39 PM
Try your local auto parts store. At Autozone I got all new locks (including ignition and trunk) for 70 bucks.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:24 PM
Just go to a lock smith they will fix it much cheaper than having to put all new locks in the car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search