Power steering delete? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power steering delete?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 3:54 PM
Well, I bought another Cavalier today (Yah, big surprise) . This is Cavalier #16 for me.

Anyways, its a 1990 5-speed 2.2 2 door, but the weird thing is that the car is power steering delete.. It just has an idler pulley where the pump would be. Anyone else ever seen this? I'm sure its not super rare or anything, but I've just never run across another power-steeringless Cavalier. Thoughts?

JLP
01' 5 speed Z <--- 03' 15.2 @ 90
79' Blue Monte <--- 03' 12.18 @ 110.86

Re: Power steering delete?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:54 PM
I've seen some older models like 88's without them... though I find it odd... but I also find low-carb diets odd, so who knows

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:21 PM
Yeah there is a few of them made. Do a search on car-parts.com and it lists a few 90 models with the manual racks.

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:21 PM
Yeah there pretty rare, I know a few guys who race cavaliers and had a hard time finding a car without power steering cause you dont want it on an oval track, a few guys just gave up and gutted the pump so it just free wheeled and didnt do anything but keep the belt were it was susposed to be.
I've never seen a J without power steering.

Monday, February 14, 2005 5:18 PM
wanna hear something weird? i had an 89 sunbird gt w/out power-steering. all it had was a pulley-type thing there. but thats it so i believe it that there r cavys out there w/out power steering.

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:07 AM
It's definitly more common in the older ('82-85) cars, but not unheard of.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:30 AM
I have the same thing, 1990 Red 2 door, 5 speed. It has no power steering. Can't be THAT rare.
Friday, February 18, 2005 7:59 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the replies guys

This car is going to get the MPFI swap with a lightly ported head and both manifolds ported (i/e). Should make for a fun beater car with good mileage!

JLP
01' 5 speed Z <--- 03' 15.2 @ 90
79' Blue Monte <--- 03' 12.18 @ 110.86
Monday, February 21, 2005 9:01 AM
my 90 gets great milage with the throttle body 4 popper, mobile one, and a K&N filter

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search