Prepping motor to take lots of abuse? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Prepping motor to take lots of abuse?
Friday, February 18, 2005 7:17 PM
I'll be rebuilding my 2.0 OHC soon and adding a T-3 turbo and all the other go fast goodies, I know the crank and rods are the same for turbo and NA 2.0's and are made from nodular cast iron. How strong is nodular cast iron? I'm looking to get a ton of power from this motor and I want it to stand up to a fair amount of abuse and I'm trying to think of every way to make this motor and trans pretty much bullet proof. What are my options to streangthening(sp?) the bottom end? I'm not to concerned with the top end cause I'm pretty confident its ok and I have an idea for the head gasket, so I dont need to worry about that either. And I'm pretty sure the getrag trans is already bullet proof but I want to get a little more as far as the clutch goes.
Any ideas, opinions or comments welcome

Re: Prepping motor to take lots of abuse?
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:15 PM
Balance the motor. Get some good bearings for the crank & rods. ARP rod bolts...and a new pulley/balancer. No Under drive pulley!! It'll just increase the crank vibrations and put strain on the bottom end.

1991 3.1L V6 Sunbird LE
15.365@88.52
Full Interior...3-Speed Automatic.

Satisfied Customer of:
POWERSHOP PORTING SERVICE
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:18 PM
What is your idea for the head gasket? I am just in the process of rebuiding my 2.0.
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:34 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I ran out of posts.
For a head gasket cause I'm planing on running lots of boost I'm having a copper one made cause I dont think you can buy them anywere.
Were do you get APR rod bolts? I cant seem to find there site or the part of there site that sells them.
thanks

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:18 PM
when you get the layout of that gasket i need the specs and all cause my gasket is gone

wicked
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:29 PM
im going here for must of the upgrades for my sunbird, http://www.mantapart.com/
the grand am 2.0 is the same as the sunbird 2.0 right?? well if so they have a whole list of upgrades than , now i cant wait for a job
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:34 PM
ummm mantapart isnt known for their reliability as a company, just a warning, look them up on ebay to give you a little extra security, i saw some shaved pistons for the sunbird recently for sale on their from them

wicked
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search