91 3.1L into a 95 Sunfire 2.2L - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
91 3.1L into a 95 Sunfire 2.2L
Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:51 PM
Hey everyone, I am kinda new to the site .

I have used the search button adn I can only find the swap for 90-94 cav. and not the 95+.
So here is what I am asking. I have a 95 sunfire 2.2L with a 5 spd. and I also have a 91. Cav. with the 3.1L V6 Auto. I want to do the motor swap, and I need to know a few things such as will my tranny bolt up. Do any of the motor mounts from either car fit with the engine when it goes into the sunfire? I am sure i have to bring all of the wiring over from the Cav. to the Sunfire which is fine. Has anyone done this before? Is there anywhere I can read a tutorial on how to do it? and does anyone have any idea of the costs it would take? Thanks in advance

Nick

ShowFire

Re: 91 3.1L into a 95 Sunfire 2.2L
Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:19 PM
I do not believe there is a tutorial on what you are trying to do.

There is a post going on right now in the 3rd gen forum that should help you out.

HERE

The 3400 swap and the 3.1 swap are very similar (atleast in the second gens).
Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:37 PM
obd2 to obd1 swap..
Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:23 PM
Quote:

obd2 to obd1 swap..

No, cars didnt switch to OBD2 until 1996 so your ok.
The engine bay of the third gens is pretty much the same as a second gen, Your trans will bolt up to the motor, and I'm pretty sure all the mounts have to be swapped. But if you think about it the 2.2 came in the second gen and third gen cars so any motor that came in a second gen can go into a third gen and vise versa, I'm pretty sure all the mounts are the same from second gen to third gen, so pretty much all of it is bolt on. The only thing I can see you having a prob with is wiring cause the dash is diffrent, but its not that hard to solve that problem.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:38 PM
only the 4 speed autos went to obd2 in 95, the 5 speed and 3 speed auto was still obd1 in 95.

id use a 3400. you can use the passenger engine mount from an olds alero (its the same as a 3rd gen j). use the 90-94 3.1l ecm and wiring to run the motor. as for a tranny, if you want to keep a 5 speed, you are going to need to make custom mounts for it. you in theory could use the stock 2.2l tranny (it will physicaly bolt up) but its not that strong. this would eliminate the mount problems though.

Monday, February 21, 2005 1:41 PM
2.3 HO

O noes!
Monday, February 21, 2005 1:59 PM
first time I've seen this swap myself. I wanna be updated with your progress

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Monday, February 21, 2005 3:29 PM
Thanks guys,
Making my own motor mounts won't be a problem, the only thing that is going to be a pain in the ass will be the wiring... But its all jsut wires and its easy enough to do. I will just have to be patient doing it.

Quote:

id use a 3400
I am getting the whole car for almost nothing and I know the motor is good and was maintained. so i will stick with the 3.1.

I am not sure when I will start the swap I might not do it until this winter because I might have the motor punched out etc....

Does anyone know if it will rip apart my tranny? My tranny has been babied for almost its whole life and is rarely beaten on...

When I start I will be sure to keep everyone updated

Thanks again guys

Nick

ShowFire

Monday, February 28, 2005 7:45 PM
Hey guys gimme some more info! lol
What about my rad?
Guage Cluster? I would REALLY like to use my sunfire guage cluster so i odn't ahve to modify my dash but I don't know if that will happen.
do i need to change anything with the tranny or flywheel?
Motor mounts are a big question too! Tyrin had said he thinks they are almost the same which would be amazing....
thanks guys!
Nick

ShowFire

Monday, February 28, 2005 9:22 PM
The mounts are different, but like sharkey said, you can use some Alero stuff for mounts. Heres a link you might find helpful-
http://users.adelphia.net/~rdbryant1/index.html.html

Flywheel- you'll need to use the 3.1 flywheel and clutch. The only difference between the 2.2 and 3.1 clutch is the diameter. The input shaft and spline count are the same (1"/14 spline)

Rad- you should be able to use the same rad (inlet and outlet are in the same place), but will most likely need to make up some custom hoses. I'm not sure if the 2nd gen 3.1 rad will fit in a 3rd gen, but if it does, use it since its bigger and lighter.

Gauge cluster- I can almost guarantee that you will need to do alot of rewiring (or at least re-pinning) to use the stock cluster. The pinouts on the ECM are different, and the gauges probably have different resistance requirements. The guy in the link I gave you ended up using stand alone management because of al the wiring issues, but if you are willing to and have the skills to figure it all out yourself, you could make it work.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:38 AM
i wouldnt use your 2.2 tranny with the 3.1...GM found that the 2.2 tranny just couldnt handle the 3.1 so they used the getreg/muncie tranny in the 2.8/3.1 as opposed to the isuzu tranny in the 2.2s

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:28 PM
bumpity bump bump

ShowFire

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search