Need pics- side moulding - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need pics- side moulding
Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:25 PM
I'm thinking about removing the side mouldings on my 'bird, they're starting to come off anyway, i was just thinkin i might ask for pics of people who have done this to make sure i liek the look. I know it would leave mouldings that are on the bumper covers, so i was also thinking about getting some bumper covers off a phase I cav or sunbird, cause i saw a pic of a guy with a blue 2nd gen cav with phase I bumpers on it and it looked pretty sweet.

14.84 @ 92.04mph

Outdated sig pic FTW!

Re: Need pics- side moulding
Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:51 PM
here is a pic of my 93 cavalier after i took the molding off. when i removed mine i found some suprises behind the molding. there were about 20 door dings on each side. but i was putting z24 skirts on so it wasnt that big of a deal for me. this is while i was preping it for paint.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:02 PM
I'm removing mine also, and I gotta question too while we're on the topic. I'm about to put my kit on so obviously that's why I'm taking the moldings off. when you remove the molds the little raised parts of metal that hold the brackets, that hold the molding... do they need to be grinded off and sanded down before throwing on the door caps? If not what do I need to do? oh and super', I suggest removing the moldings myself, it makes for a sleeker look for the body.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:46 PM
On both my 91 RS and my 91 sunbird they were double sided taped on there. No studs coming off the body holding them on.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:18 PM
mine just had double sided tape, which is hard to get off. if you can get a hairdryer or some kind of heat gun it will help alot
Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:52 PM
well mine actually does have the studs, because I've actually popped one off before and it's got the lil plastic brackets... at least on the doors. I think the moldings on the actual body might be adheared on to it. my car was once two toned with grey on the bottom... ahhh I remember the days.... but, has anyone faced the stud issue when removing molding?

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:47 AM
maybe just the cavalier has the glue on type. ive never really worked much on a sunbird to know much about them
Monday, February 21, 2005 10:10 AM
you are gonna have to grind them down and smooth them out more than likely.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Monday, February 21, 2005 10:13 AM
my old 4-door sunbird just had double-sided tape i don't know why the two door would be different but hey thats gm for ya.
Monday, February 21, 2005 11:02 AM
Look in my reg for pics.

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:06 PM
yeah i have a 91 sunbird and the holding is held on with metal studs. so yeah you'll have to grind those little studs down

I think in 92 or 93 they switched to using double sided tape.

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:05 PM
All_Stance wrote:yeah i have a 91 sunbird and the holding is held on with metal studs. so yeah you'll have to grind those little studs down

I think in 92 or 93 they switched to using double sided tape.

I took off the moldings today and decided to go ahead and gride them down anyway. gotta wait til my next day off tho... plus the kits coming soon. weeeee

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search