94 sunbird motor into a cavalier. will it work? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
94 sunbird motor into a cavalier. will it work?
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:14 PM
I just bought a 94 sunbird with a 2.0 MPFI motor. It's been hit in the passenger side door. I can get a good body cheaper than fixing this one. My problem is I can't find a 92-94 sunbird body to swap the motor into. I have found several cavalier bodys. Will the sunbird motor work in the cavalier body. I know the bodys are almost the same, but I don't know about the motor mounts. I know that I will have to change the wiring harness and the computer. What will it take to swap the motors?

Re: 94 sunbird motor into a cavalier. will it work?
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:31 PM
from everything ive learned all youll need outside of wiring is the tranny mounts(im doing the opposite i want to put a 3.1 in place of my 2.0)
if its just the door thats damage you can swap it cheap get a new one at a upullit junkyard

wicked
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:14 PM
The rocker is bent as well as the frame. That's why I'm wanting to get another body. One shop gave me an estimate of $1,200. to fix it, and that's me getting the door, and any other body parts that might be needed. I actually just bought a 3.1 but it's going in my z24. The motor in my sunbird only has 44,000 miles on it so it's worth keeping. I'm going to use the car with the 2.0 as my daily driver, alot better gas milage. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any info I'd appreciate it
Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:06 PM
ok just the tranny mounts are different, youll have to swap the transmission, have fun with it, theyre great little four cylinders just rather have more horse power myself

wicked
Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:00 PM
I want to make sure I got this right. Do I need to take the transmission mount from the cav and put it on the trans from the sunbird, or do I need to put the trans that's in the cav on the motor from the sunbird? I really want to use the trans that's in the sunbird, I know it works great, and I know how many miles are on it. I'm going to take a look at the bird next to my cav tomorrow, so I can compare the two and get a better visual idea of what your saying.
Re: 94 sunbird motor into a cavalier. will it work
Friday, March 04, 2005 7:38 AM
You have to use the sunbird trans the 2.0 ohc has it's own bolt pattern
as for the mount I don't know.
Friday, March 04, 2005 2:38 PM
i believe you need to take the mount from the sunbird and mount it on the cavvie then its all set....... not sure specifically since i havent started on my swap I havent gotten up under mine to look

wicked
Friday, March 04, 2005 3:35 PM
I checked at autozone today to see if there is a difference in the mounts, and found that all the mounts are the same, motor and trans. I may not have to worry about putting my motor in a cavy now. I went to a junkyard to check on a cavalier. Some guy my dad talked to said he had one and he would take $200 for it. I was checking it out and noticed a 93 sunbird sitting a couple cars over. It has the same motor, so I won't have to worry about switching harnesses or any thing else. Just drop my motor and in and go. The best part is he only wants $200 for it too. I'm going to have the guy from the body shop check it out and see how much the body work will be, and go from there.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search