torched lower job - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
torched lower job
Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:38 PM
lowered my car with a torch on the springs..rides good haha

Re: torched lower job
Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:41 PM
hope it lasts for you.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:33 PM
your kiding me right????

ohhhh man....

(why must some 2nd gen owners take the wrong way? do they not realize it's gonna cost more to fix, than it would of done it right the first time?)

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:43 PM
If it looks and handles like crap on a truck, what would make you think it would be any better on a car?
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:32 PM
rides the same as it did b4. i lowered 1.5 inches in front to match my sagging rear
Friday, March 04, 2005 3:42 PM
haha. i give it a few weeks before your regreating it.

Friday, March 04, 2005 5:42 PM
**tisk tisk**

**changes are here**

Friday, March 04, 2005 6:20 PM
not to be a prick but why will i regret it? what sorta things are known to fail? please tell me i want to be prepared
Friday, March 04, 2005 9:34 PM
nobody ever said you can't torch them, but it's just not reconmended.

Springs are designed and manufactured to give certain rates and load capacities. Chopping them to any extent has to interfere with that and they can't behave the same or have the same capacity. If chopping was cheaper and safe and effective, the professional suspenison modifiers and racers would do it, and they don't.

Chpped springs are also going to seat differently in the mounts and the mounts aren't deisgned for it. It will stuff up the mounts and the suspension geometry and behaviour.

Overall, the car can't be relied upon to handle as well or predictably as it would with proper springs. Which you might find out the first time you put it on the limit on a corner, and the limit might be earlier than before, and you might have less control in trying to recover.

in short... cut springs don't know that they've been cut, and act accordingly. Correct lowered springs operate like they should because they know whats doing

Friday, March 04, 2005 11:00 PM
To clear it up...I did not "chop" the spring..I only heated the spring till the car dropped down..i did this on the alignmwent rack at work(4-post hoist). which i am now driving the car over the weekend to settle in the spring so i can align it at work (tuesdayish) and i am gonna correct the camber, since the tires are bowed in now. All i no from doing this to a previous car is that i hope it dosnt break anytime soon(cuz it did last time over 3 years)....in winter i am gonna thro in my other strut assembly(that is factory height) and align again so i have some height plus the 215/40R17 tires i have are made in finland and kill the blizack yet are an "all weather" tire.
Friday, March 04, 2005 11:06 PM
your gonna notice the springs coating cracking and it's gonna rust.

your ball joints are about to be put thru hell due to the excessive weight that the springsg aren't taking.

shocks. good bye.

strut mounts... hahaha...

handling. not gonna happen

do you like a bouncy ride? i hope so...

tires... there goes a set due to incorrect alignment.

alignment. probably will not happen sine the ride height has been altered. most place will not touch them one lowering springs are put on, or what not. (unless you go to a top notch speed shop or something)

basicly. your gonna hate it and wish you would of spent a few hundred on a set of Eibachs/Apex/Suspension Tech springs and some nice shocks.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:11 AM
tourching springs is worse then cutting them. when you heat spring steel, it loses its memory, and the springs will start sagging. the springs also get tempered and that makes them brittle, and thats real dangerous. if a spring snaps, that the end of the car, and possibly you and other bystanders. i would highly not recomend this. sure its cheap, but as with anything with cars, doing it properly costs money.

lowering springs are getting cheaper. there is a company here in bc called canuck motorsports. they have lowering springs for $100 canadian. now you may think $100 lowering springs are no better than tourched stockers. they make springs for several big name companies that many of us trust and ride on. they sell them at a reasonable cost before they get marked way up by the big name companies. i know several guys with them in their 2nd gens, and they say they compare with sprints and intrax. they are worth checking out.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 3:28 PM
i'm sure you think it "rides good" because you havent ridden in a car exactly like yours that is equipped with proper lowing springs and proper struts and shocks.

point is, dont be a cheap a s s and shell out the 100 bucks for proper springs.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 5:42 PM
it rides the same as it did before all i did was lower the front 1.5 inches to match the sagging back and i did this once before to my honda and drove it for three years before a spring broke..and you dont even no when it breaks you just notice the car sitting funny....and ill be aligning it myself at work since thats what i do for a living.its not hard to correct the camber and set the toe. dont call it down till youv done it. iv now done it twice..rides fine..iv rode in a cav lowered with real deal springs now thats bouncy. as far as the springs rusting wow....not a big deal since you cant see them....at my local junkyard there is 9 cav's strut assembly 20 dollars so i see this as no big deal..dont be such a hater it really isnt bad..
Saturday, March 05, 2005 6:15 PM
the reason im so dead set against it is because its dangerous. a friend of mine did it a number of years ago with his 92 cavy. 3 weeks after he did it, a spring broke when he was on the freeway. spring broke, car dropped, sent him off the road into the ditch. car was a complete writeoff and he got away with a broken arm, cuts and bruises. for the amount of time he was outa work, he could have bought konis, eibacks, and had it all professionaly installed and have money left over, all in the wages he lost.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 6:55 PM
that would not be cool at all.
Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:03 AM
it road bouncy because he had factory struts on it... blown sturts bounce alot...

if a car is lowered properly. Lowering springs, strut mounts, struts and correct camber, only probablem they'll have are pot holes and driveways/steep entrance/exits.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:10 AM
sharkey wrote:the reason im so dead set against it is because its dangerous. a friend of mine did it a number of years ago with his 92 cavy. 3 weeks after he did it, a spring broke when he was on the freeway. spring broke, car dropped, sent him off the road into the ditch. car was a complete writeoff and he got away with a broken arm, cuts and bruises. for the amount of time he was outa work, he could have bought konis, eibacks, and had it all professionaly installed and have money left over, all in the wages he lost.

Not to mention most of us wouldnt want your dumbass slaming into us when those turd stock springs break and you lose control of that POS.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:22 AM
i dunno u no it alls ive done this before and had two break and didnt no till i parked...funnyt how i didnt loose control..what your idiot buddy to busy smoking a bowl behind the wheel
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:43 AM
a j body is way different than a honda. a honda spring is closly wrapped, and if it brakes, it has about an inch to drop till 2 coils hit eachother. a j body spring is loosly wound and is tapered. if a coil breaks, its got a lot farther to drop before it hits the next coil, and being its tapered it may not hit the next coil, it may just go up through the center.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:29 AM
hmm...my honda spring was loosley wrapped just like my j spring....plus on my cav i only torched the very bottom coil...so g guess were it will break......anymore stupid arguments or are u all done being mad cuz i did spend stupid money like you

Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:15 AM
mitch martin wrote:hmm...my honda spring was loosley wrapped just like my j spring....plus on my cav i only torched the very bottom coil...so g guess were it will break......anymore stupid arguments or are u all done being mad cuz i did spend stupid money like you

haha Yes we are all very jealous of your torched stock springs. OMG you play a idiot in real life too or just one on the net?

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Sunday, March 06, 2005 5:11 PM
listen mitch... all immature comments and ego bashing aside the point of the matter is... it's better safe than sorry. Just picture it this way... you purchase insurance for your car. you may never have a wreck in your life or you could smash into a brick wall leaving the insurance agency. Fact of the matter is, you had insurance. proper springs are your car with insurance and tourched, cut , heated or chopped springs are your car without insurance. Perhaps it may work, for a really long time but more times than not it doesn't last long at all. and like labora said, we'd all hope you'd do it the proper way and not come smashin into our rides and killin hours and hours and money we invested into our hobbies. Point is, springs are made for each car with individual specs to support it how it is supposed to. when you alter them, they continue to work how they were supposed to, not how you altered them for.

not to mention, and I think I speak for most of us here, we'd rather not lose a fellow jbod enthusiast by a cheap oversight that coulda been prevented.

Monday, March 07, 2005 9:47 AM
If you do suspension work for a living, you would know what you did is just plain dumb. Why do you come on here and post things like this? If you're trying to get in an online argument, head over to ClubSI and have at it. Man.........

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:49 AM
i rather spend the extra money and get springs hehe

Z24 Cardomain Site ll ZQ8 Car Domain Site
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search