Major junkyard score! - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Major junkyard score!
Friday, March 04, 2005 2:16 PM
I went to the junkyard looking for a TBI 2.2 head to compare and see how much worse it is than a 2.2 MPFI head. The guy at the junkyard said he thought someone dropped one off in a scrap pile further down the lane. I went down there and almost filled my pants. I quickly spotted the MPFI head laying next to the 94 2.2 shortblock it came off of that appears to have had a bottom end failure. !!!Hello roller cam 94 2.2!!! Not only did I get the good head, we threw the whole shortblock in my wagon too I'm gonna tear into the short block this weekend and assess the damage. Providing none of the rods snapped and banged into the cam, or that metal crusing through the motor tore up the cam this will be a great donor for the MPFI 90 Cav project.....

Now, is there anything specific other than the cam and cam accessories that I should keep off the 94 motor for my 90 motor? I realize I'll prolly have to drill and tap the block for the lifter retainer, I just hope the lifters are the same diameter etc.

JLP
01' 5 speed Z <--- 03' 15.2 @ 90
79' Blue Monte <--- 03' 12.18 @ 110.86

Re: Major junkyard score!
Friday, March 04, 2005 3:03 PM
That's awesome. I'd like to do this same thing (tbi to mpfi roller cam), when I find a car. So keep us updated.
Friday, March 04, 2005 3:38 PM
thats ummm. a mess of motor. lol.

nice score though

Friday, March 04, 2005 10:03 PM
I contemplated replacing my 91 TBI with the 94 MPFI roller cam 2.2 my dad has sitting in his garage. But I plan to go 3400 instead.

Thats a nice 25 hp and tq jump with that engine. A good 2.2 ohv to have fun with.

]
Saturday, March 05, 2005 4:08 AM
Quote:

Now, is there anything specific other than the cam and cam accessories that I should keep off the 94 motor for my 90 motor?

The block. It's shorter in the lifter area.

From the LN2 history:
"1994-‘95: There were two major changes made to the 2.2L block in 1994. The new "Generation II" engine came with a roller cam, so two of the cast supports that tied the inner and outer walls of the block together on the pushrod side were machined flat about .390" below the deck surface. They were then drilled and tapped for the bolts that held the two shallow plastic lifter guides."

More reading here:

http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/engine/2.2/2.2history.htm

FWIW, I found several complete, running roller cam 2.2 engines for $400 - $500 about 1and 1/2 years ago when I converted my 93. Is it even worth it to spend the money on a rebuild when these engines can be found in good shape fairly easily?

-->Slow
Saturday, March 05, 2005 5:31 PM
Thanks for the link Slowolej. Lots of good info there!

I dont plan to rebuild the 94 motor... my 90 motor has only 92K, and I'm just going to use that shortblock. I'll have to figure out a way to make the notches in the block, or fabricate something to work for the lifter retainers though.

At any rate, tomorrow I'm going to dig in the 94 shortblock and hopefully find no damage to the valvetrain!

JLP
01' 5 speed Z <--- 03' 15.2 @ 90
79' Blue Monte <--- 03' 12.18 @ 110.86
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search