2.0 FAQ - Page 3 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2.0 FAQ
Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:40 PM
Cool!

Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:22 PM
Mr.Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Back up to the top before it dissapears forever, lol
Also I have a ton more info on the DOHC swap and I found out that you can get the heads in north america, I'm going to edit all the stuff from this forum into my FAQ and repost it later when its done, I've got a lot more info to go into it

when ya get it all ready, if ya could... give a copy to either myself of James Cahill... so we can add it to the archives on www.j-body.tk/faq/

Saturday, June 04, 2005 7:11 AM
Yeah, for sure. I'll be a few weeks cause I olny work on it when I have time which isnty often but I'm slowly working on it, I definatly send it to you when its comopleted

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:29 PM
Mr.Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:

In 1982 they were carbureted and later in 83 changed to throttle body injection (TBI) there were two kinds of throttle bodies for this engine from 83 - 86 they had a model 300 throttle body and then from 87 – 90 they had the model 700. Then they were switched over to multi port fuel injection (MPFI) in 1991 and with that change they removed the distributor and had coil packs used instead.

Does this mean ( bear with me I'm not very knowledgable about car mechanics) that I can replace the Model 700 Throttle Body on my 1989 Cavalier 2.0 N/A with the MPFI unit from the 1991 with out much hassle?

BTW this is my first post....
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:12 PM
This FAQ is for the 2.0 OHC, no the 2.0 OHV thats in your car. Two totally different engines. There is confusion between them, you're not the first.

But, you can swap to the 91+ MPFI on your car. It will take some work, definetely not a bolt on affair, more wiring than anything.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:17 PM
Sorry about that.

When you say "wiring" what exactly do you mean?

Thanks for the response....
Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:25 AM
I am the one who pioneered the TBI to MPFI swap on the older Cavaliers.

There are 2 differant routes you can go here. You can either swap all of the wiring under the hood over to a newer MPFI spec which is very involved, or you can cut and splice 2 wires and make it work with your stock computer. The only downfall of doing it like this is you end up running rich at idle. Average power gains are 15 to 20 hp.

I still have the original instructions I made nearly 10 years ago if you'd like. Email me at Cav_GT@yahoo.com and I can send them to you.

91 Cav "GT"<-- R.I.P.
91 Cavalier Wagonstein - Turbocharged wagon goodness
You can take my rifle when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Sunday, June 04, 2006 4:46 PM
Bump to keep it from dying.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:15 PM
ok first off... one ? for "stef".. whered you get that manifold for the external wastegate? and nice motor!!... and can anyone answer me if what i plan on doing will work? ok i have a 2.0L non-turbo TBI motor.. and i want to go turbo, and convert to MPFI, now, what i want to do is go to MPFI but keep the distributor.. is that possable? i dont really like DIs ignition set ups.. and also, im going to use the manifold with the external wastegate if possable.. then a T3/T4 turbo.. use the intake manifold, injectors, fuel rail and throttle body, ect. to do the MPFI swap from a 2.0L turbo motor, along with wiring harness and ECM, then the getrag trans from a 2.0L turbo... where can i find the trans? and does it just drop in? and also, i want to get the rods and pistons from a 2.0L turbo, which means getting the 2.0 turbo head right? for compression changes... and the cam im adding is a re-grind with 262° duration 446Lift.. this should be alright for everything right? and i also wasnt to use an oil cooler, intercooler, nitrous, intercooler spray bar, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD coil pack, better distributor if anyone knows where to get one? high flow oil pump, if anywhere makes them? and many other modifications... is anyone interested in selling anything i mentioned? i cant find alot of the bottom end components or the trans.. that would be a big help... but does this sound like it will work? hope you can help.. look foward to hearing from you, thanks in advance

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:05 PM
I have a set of rods and pistons or a complete bottom end, whichever you'd prefer. I also have an MSD coil, MSD 6AL, a remanned and ported turbo head, stock cam/distributor w/ housing, stock turbo/manifold or a regular manifold with a T3 adapter instead of using a T25, loaded fuel rail/fpr, direct port nitrous intake manifold, intake manifold with H/O 56mm throttle body mated to it and virtually everything else you might need asside from a wiring harness.
I have made awesome power with most of the stuff listed but I have since gone BIGGER and am getting rid of all of the stock and modified stock stuff.

You can go MPFI/distributor by using the stock turbo computer (have one of them too)
The trans is a direct swap, just use the axles (turbos axles have an intermediate shaft.)
Make sure to swap out your rod bolts for ARP bolts if you plan on making a lot of power.
You're stuck with your stock oil pump unless you can find one of the old cosworth external wet sump pump assemblies or plan to spend a hefty sum on a QED dry sump system.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:07 PM
How much do you want for the rods and pistons? ECM? 6AL ignition? and the head? throttle body? intake manifold? and also the fuel rail? and what shafts? lol... also, do you have a part # for the rod bolts? thanks

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:51 PM
I'll give you rods, pistons, computer, 6al ignition, ported head, 56mm throttlebody/intake manifold (modified the intake manifold) and rail/injectors for $500 all together. If you want a price for one or two things individually, just PM me.
Damn good deal if you ask me though.
ARP rod bolt part number is 109-6001
You will also want a cometic MLS headgasket W6424-1

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:27 PM
I really wish I had that deal available last February when I toasted the head on mine. I am still looking for anyone who has a gauge cluster for an 89 or 90 Sunbird turbo since I broke mine. If I get a couple of my other cars sold I may hit you up anyways and do a rebuild on it.
Thursday, March 01, 2007 8:33 PM
^^^^ I have two, one is auto and the other is manual with the shift light. Can set them at whatever milage you please.
PM me.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:41 PM
David,

Manifold was from www.mvaux.com. Here's a link direct to the page here

These are new castings and will warp during initial use as they stress relieve themselves, though this can be done in an oven. External 'gate mounting pad can be re-drilled and opened up to suit other types.

A note on the oil pumps, I just rebuild the stockers and blueprint them. I take off all the sharp corners in the oil circuit where possible just as insurance against cavitation. The stock pump is good enough that I can use them on N/A 16v engines up to 8500rpm. On turbo engines including mine they have enough capacity to be used with oil squirt jets for under piston cooling.

Stef

--------------------------
LT3 Powered Vauxhall Astra.
Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Ported Big Valve Head, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More
Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:45 PM
M I N I O N - Sinbird wrote:^^^^ I have two, one is auto and the other is manual with the shift light. Can set them at whatever milage you please.
PM me.

PM sent.
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:04 AM
cant u just buy the manifold seperate? and its for a T3 turbo? thanks

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:09 AM
Yes you can. Email them for a quote. They are from Brazil where they have a lot of OHC turbos (GM is a popular make there). The manifold has a T3 flange.

Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Ported Big Valve Head, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:14 AM
alright, is there a site? or is it the same place?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:05 PM
Same place. Should be a contact email address on the site if you look around.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:43 PM
They said they dont sell seperate parts anymore ... any other ideas?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:15 PM
Hey wow this is still up here... i have an updated version I'm still adding to its huge! covers everything this block is associated with theres a 1.6 a 2.0 and 2.2 theres also two diffrent DOHC heads, 4, 5 and 6 speed manual trannys RWD trannnys, you name it. I've found a ton of info, only problem is none of its organized, I have to sit down and go throuh it all and get it into shape. I've been busy with other projects and sold my old sunbird and took some time off the J's for a few years until i finnaly found my dream j car (90 sunbird GT turbo, 5 speed, black) and now my other projects are getting wraped up and i'm back into the j body scene, I have no idea when i will get my new FAQ cleaned up its huge, I need to figure out how to make links in a table of contents to bring you to certain points cause nobody will ever read it top to bottom.. unless your a die hard 2.0 OHC person.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:42 PM
2 different DOHC heads?

You must be forgetting teh GM vs. cosworth versions of each making 4 different heads!

I'd love to see what you have to offer as far as information goes. You could probably cut it short and cover only the coscast heads and F28 gearbox.

Cardomain|Myspace

Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:52 PM
T, you have to email it to me in .doc format and I'll put it up on J-body.tk when you're all done.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:51 AM
James: hey you need to make an account on the wiki, so i can set you as Admin... you're gonna hate me when ya see the new formatting rules...

example: bold = **text to be bolded**

=P

the current link for this on j-body.tk is http://www.j-body.tk/wiki/FirstGenEngine2point0SOHCFAQ

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search