Timing chain or not? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing chain or not?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:59 PM
Went out and looked at a 94 cavy. Starter was all messed up wires werent connected nuts were missing. so i fixed that. went to start the car and all it did was make a horrid grinding sound. first off i thought the starter wasnt engaging all the way. but it was, the flywheel and belts were turning. the car gets spark and fuel, but doesnt even sound like it wants to start.

If it is the timing chain how hard is it to replace on this car(2.2l, auto). what else has to be replaced.
other than this the car is basically flawless.

Re: Timing chain or not?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:48 PM
By experience (with my '79 Celica GT), you don't really need to change timing chains on engines, even if soemtimes your mechanic says so (had a little more than 300,000 miles on my Celica when it hit a '76 Montecarlo

(kid ran a redlight ,good side to it , he took his father's car without permission *and* a valid license

God I miss that car... They called it the Japanese mustang for a reason. Rear-wheel drive, 5 speed, limited slip differential, no rack-pinion steering, a gutsy little bitch
Friday, April 01, 2005 9:24 PM
may need decarbonizing of th e engine
Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:03 AM
Hamsterdan wrote:By experience (with my '79 Celica GT), you don't really need to change timing chains on engines, even if soemtimes your mechanic says so (had a little more than 300,000 miles on my Celica when it hit a '76 Montecarlo

(kid ran a redlight ,good side to it , he took his father's car without permission *and* a valid license

God I miss that car... They called it the Japanese mustang for a reason. Rear-wheel drive, 5 speed, limited slip differential, no rack-pinion steering, a gutsy little bitch

Contrary to this completly off topic and wrong post, Timing chains can and do break sometimes. The easiest thing to do if you suspect the timing chain would be pull off the valve cover and see if the rockers move. Sometimes the chain can stretch and skip a tooth also causing it to be out of time. But the grinding you are hearing is most likely just a shim missing under the starter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search