jumpy rpms - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
jumpy rpms
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:01 AM
i drive a 94 z24 manual and on occasion when i take it out of gear, and its above maybe 2500 rpms, the rpms jump. they'll drop to a grand then back up to 3 or 4 grand until the car slows down to about 20 mph, then it calms down. ive heard that this a death of a tranny. has anyone else ever heard of this or know what it is? i just want to know if its something to worry about.

Re: jumpy rpms
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:45 PM
check your tranny fluid, if it is old or almost out it makes your tranny slip. or sumtimes if your injectors are going out your RPM's jump but your car would also "jump" a little bit also. but thats the only thing i can think of
Friday, March 11, 2005 5:45 AM
that helps me too, im having the same problem in my 94 sunbird v6. thanks.

jared
Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:27 AM
89 Turbo (Big Pimpin) wrote:check your tranny fluid, if it is old or almost out it makes your tranny slip. or sumtimes if your injectors are going out your RPM's jump but your car would also "jump" a little bit also. but thats the only thing i can think of

OK, Old tranny fluid in a manual trans is not going to make it slip. Also she's having problems when she pulls it out of gear.
Robyn i have the same problem with my 94 cav. I don't what causes it. I find that if i hit the clutch to the floor before pulling it out of gear it will usually not do it. The only time mine does it is when i have had the engine revving fast then pull it out of gear, like taking off real quick or going 80+mph on the highway and pulling it out of gear on the offramp.
It is nothing wrong with your tranny, or injectors. The only thing i can figure out is its some problem with the ECU code. Just ignore it. The only concern i ever have for mine is when it dips in rpms, it drops down to like 500rpm then surges up to 3000 which could be dangerous since your oil pressure drops when the rpms drop. But overall, just ignore it. When mine does it, i just tap the gas everytime it starts to drop, like you said as soon as you slow down or come ot a stop it will start to idle normally again.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search