If you have a kitted Sunbird, let me know... - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
If you have a kitted Sunbird, let me know...
Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:21 PM
ok, I know most of you guys have cavs, but some of you have birds too... so I'm gonna ask this from anyone with a sunbird who has dealt with a body kit before. When I removed my rear bumper, the actual bumper support wasn't what I expected it to be. basically it's built into the bumper cover and isn't a bar like I thought it was. Instead it's got the two ... eff I dunno what they're called... so for the sake of calling them something and being wrong I'll just say they're pillar type braces. Know what I'm talking about? if so, what did you do when you installed your aftermarket bumper? My kit is nothing but fiberglass with no hardware and for the most part I can drill and screw it on, but what about the bumper support bracing? I hope you understand what I'm tryin to say and ask. the stock bumper cover has four bolts on each side that slide into these pillar braces and you just slap a nut behind them. my kit bumper however, doesn't. I haven't even taken my front bumper off yet so I guess my general question is... to those with kitted sunbirds, could you give me a detailed process of the steps you took and what you had to do as far as hardware goes? thanks guys. sorry if that was all confusing.

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Re: If you have a kitted Sunbird, let me know...
Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:28 PM
your suppost to use your factory hardware.

i haven't pulled my rear off my subird so im not sure what they are... BUT there should be 2 peice's of plastic that go around the side's of the bumper (inside) by the wheel wells.

those should just slide up inside the lip, drill your holes, and make sure all lines up with factory shiz.

as for the top, hopefully it don't sag, 'cause im not sure how you'd secure that area around he trunk. hopefully it'll be supported enough by your rear bumper.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:40 PM
sup steng. ok yeah, I know I use all my stock hardware... as far as screws and what not... but my real question was what do I do for a bumper support beneath my kit bumper? I'd like to have something under it and not just have a piece of fiberglass hangin off my ars. Urg, so I just ran outside and snapped some pics to better support my screwy post:

Okay, here are the pillar braces I was referring to, this is what I saw once I slipped the bumper off.

And here's the inside of the stock bumper cover, the first pic is just to show, the second pic is where my question comes into play...

And for the hell of it, here's the only pic I had time to take after the kit came in.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:47 PM
ok, you can snap that bumper support out of the bumper cover I believe pretty easily, but how do I possibly attatch it to the bumper, or is that just not doable, granted without having ugly screws shot too and fro?

Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:48 PM
those peice's of plastic on the side of the factory rear need to be un-attached from it, and use them on the diza bumper. you'll do the same with the front.

put that metal bar back on if you can. (provided it works with the diza bumper). then attach it like factory if you can. basicly your goal here is to take the factory stuff and use as much of it as you can to re-attach the new stuff.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:52 PM
exactly, I know that, and had already figured that out, but what I'm askin is... how exactly DO I attatch the plastic pieces into the kit bumper?

lol... I have a feeling my posts are gonna be low again this month

Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:00 PM
what just unbolt them from the bumper... and then rest them on the diza kit. simple.

there's no trick to it, just hold it in place while bolting the bumper back up.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:04 PM
alright, I just wondered if anyone had a way of actually attatching it to the bumper, which I guess is kinda impossible anyway. sorry we ran a few circles and ended up back where we started. I didn't know everyone else just rested the kit onto the bumper. but that's cool tho. thanks for dancin wit me. I'm anxious for my day off now.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:12 PM
oh yeah, hey steng... also or anyone... before I let this post die, what about sideskirts and door panels? without having them molded on is there a way to install them? sorry to come across sounding so lost. thanks stenger.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:26 PM
3m double stick automotive tape for parts of it...

and screws in the door sills/or more tape, screws in the wheel weels,

Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:32 PM
does ithave the same back side ad the Z24's? ifit does then get some of theose little plactic brackets, and screw thm in. thats what i did on myb z kit i bought.

When in doupt, grub.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search