auto trans problem - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
auto trans problem
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:47 PM
I've been having a problem with the 3t40 in my cavalier lately. It's been taking forever for it to kick into drive or any of the forward gears. I can start it and it'll go into reverse immediately, but it may take a couple minutes until it'll kick into drive. and I only have this problem when it is cold. If I drive it around for a little while and hop back in, it goes right into gear. Oh yeah, the tranny fluid level is fine, and it has recently had a filter and fluid change on it- which had no effect on it.

Re: auto trans problem
Thursday, March 17, 2005 6:40 AM
my 89 bird has the same problem. Mechanic told me its the seals in the tranny, but mine would only take a few extra seconds not minutes to kick into drive....he told me i can try some of those tranny additives to hopefully rejuvinate the seals, but i never did

hope you get something out of this..

My bird has new paint, the body looks good and now under the hood i go. Did i hear someone say bore to a 3.4?
Re: auto trans problem
Thursday, March 17, 2005 2:17 PM
yeah. it's more than likely your seals. there having to warm up before it ingauges. mine does the same thing, only because i blew a tranny line and ever since then it's sucked.

we've noticed on cars around here, that once they get a lil' older, changing your fluid/filter is practilly pointless and more hazardous to your tranny's life. about 3 outta 5 cars had tranny service done. and once everything was changed and cleaned up, they notice no improvement if not worse. One car even loss 3rd gear afterwards. it was fine untill the servicing.

and once i unwilling had to change fluid, my tranny started doing the same thing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search