Stalling when coasting to a stop - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stalling when coasting to a stop
Friday, March 18, 2005 5:39 AM
I'm looking for a little help; I tried searching but couldn't find anything.
The car is a 91 Z24 with a 3.1 3speed auto.
When the car is in gear and I'm coasting to a stop or light the Rpm's jump around and the car wants to stalls, once stopped the Rpm's settle back to normal after a few seconds. The car was running fine, I replaced the starter last weekend and this problem seemed to happen after that.

Any help in what could be the cause would be appreciated.

Re: Stalling when coasting to a stop
Friday, March 18, 2005 11:56 AM
Sounds like its switching gears quickly...

Friday, March 18, 2005 12:37 PM
If its stalling the engine its the TCC lockup in the trans

Friday, March 18, 2005 12:51 PM
pezed wrote:If its stalling the engine its the TCC lockup in the trans

Is that a big job to replace? What' involved in that process?
Thanks for the reply.
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:12 PM
if it was the lockup..then it would stall when he came to a stop...atleast thats what mine did.......

ive also had this problem and i couldnt tell you what it was exactly...my conclusions was it was bad gas or water in the gas because its since went away..
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:59 PM
Mine only stalls on occasion, the RPM's drop right down like it's going to stall and then they come back up and flutters for a bit and then the RPM's settle at idle. When I'm, going from drive to reverse it sometimes stalls or after I throw it in park after I backed in the laneway... If I slip it into neutral coming to a light it usually stalls if I'm not giving it a bit of gas.

I don't think its bad gas; I ran the tank empty and recently filled it up. It's weird, the problem happened all of a sudden. It must be bad timing that it did it after I replaced the starter?

Thanks for the responses so far, I plan to take a good look at it this week-end and see if can find out what's going on.

If anybody else has any ideas or things to I should check it would be appreciated
Thanks
Friday, March 18, 2005 4:52 PM
Its most likely the TCC, they commonly go bad on every automatic J. the part costs about $40 and will take about an hour for a shop to change it, or you can do it yourself, there is a howto on v6z24.com

Friday, March 18, 2005 5:47 PM
Thanks
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:49 AM
Check the TCC solenoid before you let anyone tear down your trans. It's the solenoid that frequently goes bad on j's. Mine's a 2.0 with a 3T40 (thc 125) and the solenoid is on top of the tranny housing, I'm not sure if it is in the same place on 3.1's or not. It is simple to change, cxosts about $30, but you have to access it from under the car.
Thursday, March 24, 2005 11:43 AM
Gerrit Kroesen wrote:Check the TCC solenoid before you let anyone tear down your trans. It's the solenoid that frequently goes bad on j's. Mine's a 2.0 with a 3T40 (thc 125) and the solenoid is on top of the tranny housing, I'm not sure if it is in the same place on 3.1's or not. It is simple to change, cxosts about $30, but you have to access it from under the car.

ditto, i have a 95 that went bad last year, when it'd be fine in nuetral, but in Drive, it would stall at a stop. i'd have to rev it and drop it into drive to get going, lol.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 4:26 PM
it definitely doesn't sound like a tcc selenoid to me. I've replaced a couple of them, and you say it just wants to stall. if it were a tcc selenoid, it would stall almost everytime you come to a stop in gear. when they go bad, it feels like you're in a manual tranny car and trying to stop without pushing the clutch in- the torque converter locks-up on you- that's what a tcc selenoid will do. you may want to try an idle relearn, and another place I'd look- if you have one is the catalytic converter. I've seen symptoms like these caused by a plugged cat. good luck, and let us know what you find out

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search